Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bought a new machine, but ... >

Bought a new machine, but ...

Bought a new machine, but ...

Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=QuiltE;5896376]I don't have the 8900 ... so am commenting re my experiences with the 6600.

Just put the mushy bobbin onto the spool holder, and wind it onto another bobbin.

This is one of thos "ahaaaa" moments...or maybe even worse...I didn't know you could do this, I've been unraveling by hand and throwing the thread away! I can't count how many things I've learned from all of you on this board!!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 AM

I just bought a new Brother 3750 and I like it very much.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I don't have the 8900 ... so am commenting re my experiences with the 6600.

I think what you are asking re your bobbin winding is that the thread is not wound on tight, and if you push against it with your finger it is mushy? .... if so, check that you have it threaded correctly from the spool thru to the bobbin before you start the wind. One time, I had a mushy ... and turned out I had missed a step for the threading. Just put the mushy bobbin onto the spool holder, and wind it onto another bobbin.

The noise in the bobbin area ... do you have the bobbin holder in place correctly? Again, I'm going with the 6600 experience, and if you take the bobbin holder out, it's very easy to put it back in wrong ... and if operated as such, you can ruin the bobbin holder very easily, and then have chain effects to the rest of the operation of the machine.

I had noticed how much quieter my 6600 was from my two previous Janomes. The 8900 promos have spoken directly about its quiet operation.

Check these things first, then as the others have suggested, be in touch with your dealer. And be sure to take advantage of the free classes to learn more about your machine, no matter how much experience you have as a sewist. Good Luck!
I have exactly the same thing with skipping a step before winding! Also on the 6600. Most of the Janomes are very quiet, I have 3 and love them all! Also I use only Aurifil thread and it works fine. Good luck and do not give up on the Janome, they are great machines!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
So I picked up my new Janome 8900 this week - I went to QuiltCon last weekend and they had a deal just too good to pass up. I'm just now getting some time to really work with the machine, and I noticed something last night. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's a problem here, but the bobbin winding is absolutely horrible. I think a 12 yr old could wind it by hand better! Surely I'm doing something wrong - is there some trick to this I don't know? I'm using the bobbins that came with the machine, and regular quilting thread, if that makes a difference ...

Also, I was surprised by how much noise this machine makes compared to the Brothers I've had in the past. A couple of times, it sounded (and felt) like something in the bobbin area was smacking up against the plastic casing, but I never could see anything. Never having used a Janome before, it might just be that I need to get used to it, but it sort of made me nervous.

Any Janome owners have words of advice & wisdom for a newbie?
I bought the Janome 8900 2 weeks ago and love it. I did have problems with the bobbin but now all is great. Thread the bobbin as if you are going to thread the needle but after you pass in front of the silver tesion bar on the left of the threading cannel, go around it and then back to the right and then to your bobbin. My bobbin now tthreads very nice. My machine is also so quiet. Sewed on it all day today and usin the 1/4" foot my points are perfect without any redoing etc. Go to thue dealer and they will help you. If it is still noisey haove them check it also.

Good luck and you will love it once you are use to it.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 PM

I had problems winding a bobbin on my Janome (older model) and found I had to wind the thread around both tension guides on top to get enough tension on it to wind it nice and tight. I have to hold on to the thread very firmly above the bobbin and snip it when it had started enough rounds, and stop winding as soon as it starts to act like it's getting full instead of waiting for the machine to stop.

Also, turn the bobbin to the right, on the post, until you hear a "click" that indicates the little groove is locked in place. It has to be a Janome bobbin which is slightly different height than a Brother bobbin or some generics. (I have all three and have compared.)

If I try to put a poorly wound bobbin in and sew I will get that horrible sound where it sounds like it's jumping out of place. I like the idea here to put it on the spool and rewind it.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM

Skratchie, did your machine come with the O2 foot? I thought that's what we used in the classroom, but I didn't get one with my machine. When I emailed Sew Vac Direct, the reply I got was that there is a list in the manual of the feet that come with the machine (and the O2 isn't one of the ones printed in the manual). I just wanted to double check with someone else who also got the 8900.

I'm having a lot of trouble with some basic things that weren't problems for me at all in the classroom, and I must be missing something huge. Is it possible to get a 1/4 inch seam using the O foot and the straight stitch needle plate? My guide on the foot is clearly lined up to the 3/8 mark, and I can't move the needle closer to the guide because then the needle won't be lined up with the hold in the plate.

If I use the regular needle plate, I have to move my needle all the way over to the right (set at 9?). Is this normal? Is this what everyone else does?

Thanks ahead of time. I feel like I'm in WAY over my head, but I'm eager to make it work. I've watched a few youtube videos, but I haven't found one yet that talks about a specific needle position (or even a general recommendation that I can adjust from on my specific machine).
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM

*UPDATE* I went into the quilting stitch mode, and it does move the needle over to 8.3 for me when I ask for a 1/4 " seam. I've measured and I am getting a quarter of an inch (it does shift slightly to the right as I go, but I'm sure that's user error; I can work on that.) I'm still curious about that O2 foot, so if you did or didn't get one, I'd love to know. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM

check your manual about winding the bobbin
Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM

I received a the O foot with my machine due mainly to the fact that I paid cash for the machine and the LQS owner threw it in as a thank you. The regular 1/4" seam foot is the D foot. I use the O foot because it Has a guide or bumper to the right that makes it easier to keep the seam straight. I have not tried the D foot yet

Last edited by grandme26; 03-29-2013 at 11:04 AM.