Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bouncing Around >

Bouncing Around

Bouncing Around

Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 AM

Default Bouncing Around

I would like to know if I'm the only one who like to go from project to project as a means to keep my head clear. If I am working on a particularly difficult piecing I stop after two or three hours and go to another project, usually an easier one, and then return to the major work. It helps me to see the project more clearly and if I was bored cutting a gazillion pieces it doesn't seem as daunting. Does this seem like a good idea? Example: I am doing a star block with "Y" seams, so after mentally screaming I stopped and made a set of coasters for my BIL. I returned to the "Y" seams and they didn't seem so difficult. The reason I ask is because I wonder if I'm losing my concentration needed to do the piecing correctly by leaving it mid project. This is not a burning issue, but I'd be interested in your perspective.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 AM

I do work on more than one quilt at a time, but not too many because if you have too many going at once you never get any of them finished. Also it can make a big mess and become more confusing. SOmetimes just having a machine pieced and a hand work project is enough for me.
cindy
Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 AM

It sounds like your method of working on projects is very productive and effective for you. I too go back and forth between projects partly to break up the monotony. I almost always have 2 projects going at the same time. I like to limit it to 2 at time otherwise I get a feeling of being overwhelmed!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:57 AM

I have 2 sewing areas, depending on my mood. One area is in my living room with just "brainless" sewing on it. Right now I'm doing 1/2 triangle blocks for some donation quilts. In my sewing room I'm working on a wedding gift. Depends on how I feel and whether I want to be out in the living room with my hubby.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM

I think that when you are working on any project you get into a "zone"....Once something happens and that "zone" gets interrupted, things start to go wrong / get more difficult or frustrating. I take a break and do something - sometimes for days - and wait for the mood to come back.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 AM
DJ

Yes, I need to take breaks in one project if I find I'm getting a little frustrated with it and the fun element is diminishing. Coming back later often relieves the stress and it moves along smoothly.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 AM

I must be odd! I do alterations for lots of folks, wedding and prom dresses (5 as we speak) and some LITE upholstery, now covering 4 dining chairs with double cording and shaped seats (new foam too) as well as two window treatments. That and quilts of valor...one being longarmed by a friend, one I am doing stars on the embroidery machine (oh did I forget to say I do logos and monogram work on that) and one is cut out and layed out, now to piece it together. I have a batik quilt planned for my DD, but it is on the back burner for now, maybe for Christmas!

I just do what drives me, or what is on deadline, 2 dresses this week, but not hard, so lots of time to work on the chairs. I do hand work at nite when I leave the studio behind. I am a nite owl, so I don't work early am. I love my sewing room, I sometimes just go out there and piddle, straighten, organize, and then leave! I get a lot done, but I do sometimes get stressed by deadlines, however I can just say no! I might have to slow down when I get "older" as I am only 70 right now!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I usually have numerous projects going on at once so it looks like chaos to most of my friends. Yes, I too have to walk away from something that is frustrating. Most of the time if I leave it for an hour or 24 hours, I am able to get back to it and resolve the problem. All that matters is WHAT works for you !!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:27 AM

Ohhhhhh yes. But not always another quilt, bag, wall hanging etc I also knit and crochet and trying to learn Tunisian crochet at present . Then I will read ,walk the dogs trim them bath and play. Oh forgot cook and bake. Later will add gardening.
As I teacher I did one lesson for an hour then moved onto next and I'm sure after 40 years of this it's ingrained.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 AM

I work on several different projects at once. I enjoy the variety