Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Medallion quilts - do you have favorites? >

Medallion quilts - do you have favorites?

Medallion quilts - do you have favorites?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 PM

Default Medallion quilts - do you have favorites?

I had a box of orphan blocks, so put groups of them together expecting to build medallion quilts around them and give them to homeless families. I am on quilt number seven now and haven't started adding rows or blocks yet to any of the seven quilts for which I have the centers done. (I have to go pull fabrics.)

Some groups of blocks for centers are nine patch, some are samplers, some are string blocks. I even have some basket blocks. Sizes are mostly 8 inches finished and 12 inches finished. The centers are various sizes, but mostly about baby quilt size at the current time, roughly 48 inches by maybe 36 inches or thereabouts. They all need to be bigger for kid's quilts or even adult quilts.

Do any of you have favorite medallion quilts and links to them or pictures to post? I'm looking for inspiration. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cricket
Old 03-18-2014, 04:13 AM

Here is some inspiration. Sometimes I google for inspiration and just use elements of what I see. Remember the next round of blocks can be mad to fit better with a narrow border between it and the center. Have fun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=meda...w=1138&bih=520
Old 03-18-2014, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I find a lot of inspirations by Googling and looking thru all the pictures. Having EQ makes drawing what I see much easier and quicker.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:50 AM

Over on blocks of the week and months part of the forum, there is a medallion quilt along started by Elisabrat. There are some good selections and illustrations there.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM

I was getting mariner's compass and medallion quilts confused. Looking at the photos in the link, it appears that a medallion quilt is just something that has a block in the center (any block) , which is surrounded by borders, pieced or not to make up the size desired.

The ones that interested me the most were the mariner's compass quilts.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 AM

I am doing the Elisabrat's Medallion quilt along on BOM. Never too late to join in. It will really help you pick rounds and colors.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:22 AM

May I suggest that you need not piece complex borders? And you can even go off-center. Have you looked at Gwen Marston's Liberated Medallions? I won a ribbon at the fair with my medallion quilt. It had a bandana for the center block, set like a square in a square block. Simple can be good.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 PM

Wow! I never before knew of these resources! (These are my first medallion quilts.) Thank you all so much.

Tonight I put together four independent sides, two of big flying geese (all red and white) and two of small 9-patch blocks. I'm not sure which quilt will get them yet. I will be looking at your resources. Thanks, and if anyone has more ideas, they are surely welcome.

Cricket