Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow Tuck Makers Lets talk..... >

Bow Tuck Makers Lets talk.....

Bow Tuck Makers Lets talk.....

Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Knot Sew
Is there a tutorial available for these. I like it, I want to make one. ;) ;)
Old 05-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dogwood Quilter
On my first bag I too used WalMart fusible fleece on the outer bag and the lining. It is hvy wt pellon fleece. With my machine I didn't have to much trouble sewing it but it was bulky. On the second bag I made I used the hvy wt on the outer part and the pellon 987 on the lining. This worked great for me. I also used the 987 in my handles. I cut my handles 4 times the width and fold. I didn't have any problems sewing these either. Wishing you the best of luck on your next bag.
Thats a good idea about using both types of fleece. I still have 2 1/2 yards left of the Wal-Mart fleece and have no idea what I would use it for. I'll try it on my next bag.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Here is the tutorial you will have to get the pattern I got mine at the LQS.

http://justenoughtime.wordpress.com/...6/01/ladybugs/
Old 05-09-2010, 03:52 PM

thank you ,thank you
Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 AM

you can order the pattern here go to shop then click patterns

http://www.quiltsillustrated.com/events.htm
Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM

I sugguest you use your walking foot for whole project. that is what I use. If you can move your needle over while sewing the strings and straps that will be a big help. The pellon 987 is a good choice for batting. Good luck and enjoy your bag.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 AM

If your machine can handle the bulk, I would keep using the 987 fleece. I used the even heavier fleece for my second bag and had no problems (I have a Bernina). I don't like the idea of trimming the fleece from the seam lines because IMO, that would debilitate the seams. I carry lots of stuff in my purse, so I would be afraid the weight of my junk would strain the seams if they didn't have the fleece. I also recommend a walking foot and for the machine trying to eat the ties, how about starting to sew not at the very start of the strip, but have your whole presser foot on top of the fabric. Your first stitch would then start about 1/4 inch in.

Love these purses, they are fun to make and the results are awesome. All of the pictures I have seen here are beautiful!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 AM

I have this pattern and just want to thank everyone for their comments. I now feel like I have a "road map" of pitfalls and problems. It's Spring and making a bag is high on my list. :thumbup:
Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 AM

Using a walking foot is probably a good idea. Since I have a Pfaff with the built in walking foot I don't think about that. I did mention in my thread that I used foam board from Hobby Lobby for the bottom. I just make a pillow case and slip it in. It is working out great. I have had acrylic cut for the bottoms of some Bible Totes I made with my embroidery machine. I just can't cut that myself. You can buy that at your local home improvement store in the glass area and have them cut it to the size you need. It makes a good sturdy bottom. Have fun.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:02 AM

DEFinitelhy use walking foot. Use pellon 987f but i saw walmart hard 973 (i know it was 97 something) it was a bit denser, not thicker, you could use it too, but use that walking foot. if you don't want to use the fusible on lining try Decor Bond for stiffness. Yup, it's cheap and easy to find to. it is a fusible that is pretty stiff, but not super stiff like Bukram.
Glad we could all help!!

Soooo,, where's the picture? :)