Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow Tuck - nervous

Blog Entries
    Ok, I'm going for it!! I have it cut out, except for some of the fusible fleece that I ran out of. I'll go as far as I can without it, then get some more when I'm at Walmart next.

I'll do some 'in progress' pictures. :)

Thanks for everyone's support.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I'm watching you for inspiration :)
    no pressure ;)

Blog Entries
    Question #1:

Step #1 - It says to sew the front pocket piece to the front pocket lining piece, along the 8 1/2" length (pocket is 8 1/2" wide).

Someone explain this to me. :) I looked at the picture tutorial, but she already has this step done and didn't include anything except pictures.

TIA

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Question #1:

Step #1 - It says to sew the front pocket piece to the front pocket lining piece, along the 8 1/2" length (pocket is 8 1/2" wide).

Someone explain this to me. :) I looked at the picture tutorial, but she already has this step done and didn't include anything except pictures.

TIA
    good question! Answers ?

you are sewing it the width (8 1/2"), the lining piece is actually longer in lenght than the pocket piece. After you sew that seam together you will press your your seam then treat that piece as if it is one piece and fold it in half. you will see that the lining piece now forms the trim band at the top of your pocket. I hope that helps.

It is all straight stitching. Just follow the directions and you'll do fine.

BTW, I am doing a class on this purse at my house on the 19th, if you would like to join us here in Jacksonville, FL. :-D

You will be surprised...they are easier than it looks. Just make one and you'll see. I bet you can't make just one!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHiker
    It is all straight stitching. Just follow the directions and you'll do fine.

BTW, I am doing a class on this purse at my house on the 19th, if you would like to join us here in Jacksonville, FL. :-D
    It's a deal. I'll be there. I'll bet the weather is better there than here. lol

Ok, I started mine today - I am still doing all the quilting after I finish that I think it will work up quickly. The tutorial on this site saved me - otherwise I would still be staring at the directions - trying to make heads or tails of it. Will take some pics when I get done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    Ok, I started mine today - I am still doing all the quilting after I finish that I think it will work up quickly. The tutorial on this site saved me - otherwise I would still be staring at the directions - trying to make heads or tails of it. Will take some pics when I get done.
    I found the tutorial confusing. She shows the completed steps, but not how she got to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    I found the tutorial confusing. She shows the completed steps, but not how she got to it.
    PM me I will take you one step at a time if you wish.

After you make the first one it is a breeze. They are fun to make and you can do so many different things with them. My bow tuck bags are the ones I get the most compliments on. I'm working on one right now. I decided to add a little pocket on both ends maybe for cell phones, pens & pencils, umbrella, etc. Good luck!!

you can do it - just read directions and work slowly -

You can do it (I sound like Tony Little). I was scared too. My husband was my cheerleader. I have made several since.

Ok I have wanted to do one too as I have seen some fantastice purses here made by you all. But I am not a sewer so am scared, heck I can't even sew a button on nice.

They are fun and not difficult - Just read your directions a couple of times before cutting. I've made about 6 of them and am always on the lookout for different fabric combinations I think will look good.

I like to quilt mine. I do a diagonal both ways on the outside and inside pieces, and use blue painter's tape as a guide for my lines.

Good luck - you will get hooked. Post a picture.

You can do it!! I just finished my first one. Take it slow and easy, read the instructions carefully, you'll be amazed how much fun it is!

My first question...do I have to quilt the fabric? Or can I use it as is?
    Yes, you have to quilt it as instruct ed. Use a fusible fleece - it has more support than regular quilt batting. I also use "Shirt Tailor" too as extra support. You don't want the sides to fall down. Also, in the instructions, it tell you to sew the bottom of the front pocket and flip it up. That will work fine, but I sewed it IN the seam when you join the top and bottom. You'll have to move it out of the way when you quilt your fabric, but I liked the look better. I did my first one the way they say. I also added the accent strip (tan) that they don't call for, and the rings on the handles like my leather bag has. It's a fun place to practice FM quilting, becasue the area is not too big. It's hard to see, but I outlined the snowmen and stitched in big snowflakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My first question...do I have to quilt the fabric? Or can I use it as is?
    I have done both. I liked the quilted one better.

i was nervous too..........finally just jumped in..........marked each piece as I cut it.................with a, b, etc..............went slow...........did good in end,,,u will too :thumbup:

I know what you are feeling right now. I'm having the same problem with making the spicy spiral. My fat quarters are sitting on my cutting board just waiting for me to cut, but I just look at them and then do something else.

You can do it :!: When I got the pattern I was dissapointed in that it didn't have as many illistrations as I like. However, when I made the purse, with my daughter and neices, we did fine. The instructions are great. The lack of pictures aren't a problem. And the tute mentioned is great.

I ordered the pattern (both the reg. size and the mini) last week, am anxiously waiting for it to arrive. (I am not sure which size I want) so will be watching this thread hopefully it comes soon.

You can do it!

I was so scared when I started my first Bow Tuck, but was quite surprised to see how easy i was. So go for it and have fun.

Blog Entries
    I too put it off. I read and re-read and looked at the tutorials and I finally did it and made 4 purses for Christmas. My girls all loved what I did. I quilted the bottom section of the fabric. The more I did, the better I got at putting them together. I think I would have like to have even quilted the liner. I think the fabric plays a part in whether to quilt or not. Go to the search box above and key in bow tucks. You will see lots of pictures and messages. Go to Ebay and key in bow tucks and you can see lots of purses for sale to give you fabric ideas. Colleen53 is not only here but on Ebay and she gave me inspiration. She also uses decorator fabrics. The skies the limit, so take a deep breath and go for it. You will be glad you did!

Susan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast