Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bowl holders >

Bowl holders

Bowl holders

Old 01-03-2018, 03:33 AM

Recommendation-so why bother making these, I thought the purpose was to prevent heat from penetrating to hands , like a hot pad---- I did not nor will I make these things for myself or others(who really would not heed instructions- I would not want to be responsible for a tragedy). When tato cookers for micro were popular, I was given one as a gift---then the problems were made known, mine went in the garbage-actually only used once or twice, saw no difference!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:58 AM

I made a whole bunch for Christmas presents and told everyone they could not go in the microwave (even tho the batting says they could!) I'm not taking responsibility for someone not paying attention to a time limit and having it catch on fire - and they then said, but you said it could go in the microwave LOL No one seemed to mind that they couldn't go in the microwave .. they all liked them and we even used them on Christmas day - used oven mitts to take out of the oven / microwave, place in holder and bring over to table ... not hard and no fire!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:54 AM

I actually use mine for grabbing the hot bowl out of the microwave
Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 AM

Prior to Christmas I did quite a bit of research into this before I made many for gifts (which everyone loved and use regularly - including a set for myself). Here's the criteria: EVERYTHING, repeat: EVERYTHING must be 100% cotton and nothing but. Then there are no fire, overheating, etc. issues. Anything at all with poly, etc. will melt or catch fire in the micro.

EVERYTHING means BATTING with no scrim (I ordered specifically-labeled micro batting from Joann's), of course your FABRIC which, if you're in doubt perform a fabric burn test (google for info), and most overlooked, the THREAD! Make sure the THREAD is 100% cotton; most "cotton" are poly-wrapped and it will present microwave problems. I set up a special area for my microwaveable stuff and plan to make many more as part of housewarming, welcoming, etc. gifts.

Hope this clarifies a bit. Enjoy your gift-giving including a set for yourself.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by CGail View Post
What type of batting should be used when making the microwable bowl holders?
Wrap n zap is a batting specifically for microwave projects. I get mine either online or at joanns with a coupon. And everything above that Jo Belmont said. It’s easy to forget cotton bobbin thread.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:19 AM

What brand thread do you use?
Old 01-04-2018, 05:31 AM

I agree with Geri B. Rather than wasting my time making something that could be potentially dangerous to use, I simply put my bowl on a paper plate before microwaving, then use the paper plate to lift the hot bowl out. And the paper plate can be reused.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 AM

I don't put mine in the microwave but transfer the hot bowl into it. Many times contents boil over in the microwave and then you'd have a mess in the fabric bowl. Easier to clean up the glass tray. And I'm not risking a fire either.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 AM

You can use the more expensive ones (wrap and zap) that are marketed specifically to use in microwave or use regular cotton batting that does not have scrim. We have been making and selling the soup cozy holders for years and have never had a problem. We do include a tag that states they are for reheating food and should not be used for more than 3 minutes. We have sold hundreds of sets and not had one person complain to us. Just be sure your fabric, batting AND thread are all 100% cotton.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 AM

Wrap and Zap is available at JoAnns.