Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy do I need help with this one >

Boy do I need help with this one

Boy do I need help with this one

Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Well its still not quilted. I started quilting it by domestic machine and hated the look. So I'm gonna take out the stitches and add redo the backing in order to make it fit on my frame.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM

I had the same problen with my quilt I tried putting it on a frame for hand quilting , just to baste it but could not get it right. So just sandwiched it and now I am machine quilting it on my domestic machine. I thought I would std but since things did not line up just right I used the serpentine down the sashing and now it does not look so bad. Hope this helps you
Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM

I'm just starting to do machine quilting and have discovered that doing a wavy line (sort of a meander, but not as distinct a pattern) works really well for me. It helps hide any imperfections in either piecing or quilting (of which I have many!). I use a 'fluffy' polyester batting as well. As long as nobody inspects my quilts too closely all is well!

This is a beautiful quilt and whatever you do will only enhance it. I personally would treat it more like a comforter and space out the quilting somewhat to encourage the puff of the batting to take up some of the wonkiness.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I would steam press it and pull and press it until it looks better. the quilting will help hide a lot of the wonky look I think. good luck. she will love it when done.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM

I would also stitch in ditch and wash.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:18 PM

I have actually quilted quite a few wonkies on the long arm. I usually just meander and find you can mostly manipulate the top with your hand so it doesn't make puckers, then after washing and drying most are fine. When you have lots of hands working making charity quilts lots are wonky but usually end up very nice!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM

After you do all you can to shrink the wonky areas to assume as much "straight" as they will, I would long arm it block by block. I definitely would not use a pattern that went outside of the block. I would do each sashing by itself. That way the quilting patterns would be complete within each block and within each set of sashings. If you do anything like feathers or vines or fans, etc that wander over the whole quilt it will only accent the lack of preciseness. By keeping each block and sashing seperate no one will notice that the connections between them are less than quilt police perfect. Each block and sashing will be a unit of perfection set next to another unit of perfection.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM

If you use a double batting, that helps with the puffiness. Also, stitch it a little tighter to help take in that extra puffiness and also the suggestion of SITD will help with the wonkiness. It will allow you to put a new memory on that fabric. Even though you stitch in the ditch, that does not limit you from a panto if you decide to go that way. I might do a line dancing around the stars instead. It will help hide that wonkiness and take in the puffies. Also, you could do some tight stipple in the squares to take up puffy and help with wonki.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 PM

I am thinking quilt it with an unwashed backing... then wash and dry to encourage shrinkage. A wrinkly vintage look will hidelots!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:56 PM

Try some of Pam Clarks patterns, they are great at taking in the extra and for hiding imprefections.