Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy was i surprised >

Boy was i surprised

Boy was i surprised

Old 03-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Whenever I have gone into the two big thrift stores, they mainly have junk. Been that way for years. They normally think their stuff is worth lots.
I prefer to buy new fabrics, although I already have more than I could ever sew up.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:01 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

there was an article online (on Yahoo) yesterday about GW and SA donated clothing. A LOT of it ends up in Africa being SOLD, not donated. Said it not only hurts their textile industry but it shows how when you believe that you are donating decent clothing to needy Americans in your local area-GW and SA are not as donation orientated as we were led to believe.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Yes, estate sales or Craig's list are the best. Goodwill has its own Ebay-like auction site (shopgoodwill.com). From my experience, the rest of what they sell is complete junk these days AND over-priced.
i agree with you! And since they have gone online, they "cherry pick" so that is where the good stuff goes because they know they can sell for more $! It kinda makes me mad and sad because we were very poor growing up and that is where my mom bought all of our furniture and Christmas toys every year (she made our clothes). No way she could afford to shop there now. And they get this stuff for free! I know they are charity organizations that use that $ to help the needy but.......I personally refuse to shop Goodwill OR donate to them. I have seen their price stickers on things that have an original tag with a lower price! K, done now. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 AM

There is a Goodwill outlet less than a mile from my house - they sell clothing super cheap, by the pound. Something like 30 cents/lb. Most of the staff there is mentally challenged so it can be an interesting shopping trip, but almost always fun. Eventually, when I clear my stash out some, I'm going to start hunting for wool there.

My best score so far - I found a really nice big light box, in perfect shape for $4. Googled it when I got home and retail is well over $100 and specs & reviews are really good on it. Score! It's exactly the right size for freezer paper stencils, lol.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 AM

The Goodwill store closest to me is outrageous. I can often times find better stuff cheaper at WalMart or Target. The last few times I have been in the Goodwill I have noticed fewer and fewer shoppers. I'm hoping they will get the hint!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

This is a tight economy... lots of people are taking their nicer things to consignment shops rather than donating them. Have you noticed how many consignment shops have opened up? I love to find church rummage sales. By the end of the sale day they are ready to let you stuff a bag for $1.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dotha View Post
That is funny. It seems like to me that goodwill (and some of those places like that) are too expensive for used items.

I am wanting to make one of those shirt aprons. They are cute, have you seen them?

I made made those aprons from children's shirts for 4 of my grandaughters. They turned out cute. I also found out Goodwill has a recycle location in our city where items go if they do not sell in their stores with in a certain time. All items are dumped into bins and are sold for $1.49 a pound. I had read about Bonnie Hunters method of recycling shirts and tried it. It is very time consuming but interesting. I also found several shirts that were brand new. It was quite an experience.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 AM

we no longer have a good thrift store in my area, only a Goodwill and I've seen prices there higher than brand new at Target, just crazy. The good thrift store moved out a few years ago and set up an hrs drive away and I just don't go that way often enough and not going to spend gas just to go to the thrift store even tho I miss it, darn it.

so glad that hubby got his 'prize' and you did too!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:20 AM
sap

Originally Posted by MrsDerf View Post
I decided today while I was in town for a Dr. Appointment and had a little extra time to shop the second hand store for some men's shirts to make a scrap quilt for a friend that helps my hubby with different projects. Man what a surprise. The shirts were $3.50 each. At that rate it will be costly to make. So I stopped at K Mart and looked in the close outs and found three for $3 each and they are brand new. My DD liked one of them so much he kidnapped it. I really laughed when he came out wearing it and behind his back he had two that no longer fit him and presented them to me to soften the penalty for the theft. We had a good laugh over it.

I shop GW too. ea. shirt I purchase I get about one yard of fabric for $3.49...verses 12.49 per yard at a Quilt Shop. I get as many cuts out of that shirt as I would a yard of fabric N I have scraps left over for another project. OR not.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 AM

*** All the GW & Thrift Shops in my area have gone totally crazy
with their pricing. You can almost buy NEW compared to their
pricing.
*** I asked who was pricing & they told me the Manager
(that was who I was talking to and she stated), "We can get
this price, so that is why they are priced like this").

*** This is so sad. People used to go there so they could
dress within their price range and now they cannot even
afford their prices.

***Salvation Army received an Estate donation of
antiques and they priced them higher than the
Antique stores in the area.