Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy was i surprised >

Boy was i surprised

Boy was i surprised

Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Default Boy was i surprised

I decided today while I was in town for a Dr. Appointment and had a little extra time to shop the second hand store for some men's shirts to make a scrap quilt for a friend that helps my hubby with different projects. Man what a surprise. The shirts were $3.50 each. At that rate it will be costly to make. So I stopped at K Mart and looked in the close outs and found three for $3 each and they are brand new. My DD liked one of them so much he kidnapped it. I really laughed when he came out wearing it and behind his back he had two that no longer fit him and presented them to me to soften the penalty for the theft. We had a good laugh over it.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 PM

The prices I bet went up after they realised quilters were buying them to make a quilt with.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM

That is funny. It seems like to me that goodwill (and some of those places like that) are too expensive for used items.

I am wanting to make one of those shirt aprons. They are cute, have you seen them?
Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 AM

At that rate, the cost of yardage from LQS is looking better. Plus, it's much easier to cut into the size squares needed.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:06 AM
Power Poster

many 'thrift shops' have bag sales every now & then- that's when I tend to find the best deals- everything you can fit in a brown paper grocery bag for $5...is the norm around here- I have picked up 15-20 items in one bag easily- it is also a good time to look for wool's- you can fit a number of wools skirts, jackets, jumpers in a bag.
i'm kind of surprised you found Cotton shirts at Kmart. last time I ventured in there was nothing 100% cotton on the shelves/racks. nice score.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:30 AM

last couple weeks I went to a few local thrift stores and was surprise to see how pricy they got one store had a beautiful set of dishes and they were selling $2.99 each piece, eight piece serving set cups saucers diner plate and cereal bowls I thought that a little pricy if you wanted the whole set I questioned why they selling each piece instead of as a set the lady just said that is the way they were told to put the price stickers on all that together came to about $95.00 I pass on it they were made in china so no deal there
Old 03-22-2014, 03:51 AM

Yes, our thrift shops have definitely become more expensive. I guess they are in the retail business just like any other store, and follow the same practices--charge whatever the market will pay.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Don't know where you are in MI, but in the Detroit metro area, Salvation Army has 5 for $5 Fridays. 5 garments (excludes outdoor and formal wear) for $5 (that week's color tag). I've gotten LOTS of cotton and washable silk shirts for a buck! Don't know if it's all the SAs in the state or just this region.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:01 AM

Our Goodwill stores in SW Michigan have 50% off the last Saturday of every month. It also depends on if it is a consignment shop or a donation based shop.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Our thrift stores (donation vs. consignment) have gone way up in price. I cruise the 4 in my area regularly. There are not usually any sale days near as I can tell. Very discouraging. And I don't know what has happened to the "good stuff" because it surely isn't getting donated around here.