Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BP, vodka, Or Starch fyi >

BP, vodka, Or Starch fyi

BP, vodka, Or Starch fyi

Old 10-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
Dog House Mom: If you are using the Niagra and it comes to $14.43 for 1 gallon and you dilute it to makes 2 gallons would not the cost then be half as much or $7.22 a gallon? Math is not my forte but that is how it seems to me.
No ... I currently dilute the BP so my price of $40/gallon on BP is actually 2 gallons because of my 50/50 dilution.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM

ranger, on another thread I think they posted 2 cups distilled water and 2 ounces of cheap vodka.....a few drops of esential oils if you choose.

Originally Posted by ranger View Post
How do you make the vodka one...what's the ratio of vodka to water?
First time I've heard of this.
Thanks for help.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
On the bottle of Niagara it says a "non-aerosol spray Starch"......
I found mine at our local 'Fry's' grocery store, not sure where else they carry it.
I don't buy alcohol and I've heard multiple times about the vodka, nobody has said 'exactly' what the vodka does??? if it's not a starch or sizing, what does it do to the fabric? TIA for ansering this.

The vodka makes you not worry about the searching/sizing problem! Oh sorry, that's when taken internally!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM

I use the Niagara starch and it works well, but I have only found the aerosol.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I did not know Niagara had a non aerosol, I will have to check this one out. I have not noticed it in any of the stores
around here.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I mix my own BP alternative with Vodka, Water, and a few drops of lavender essential oil from the health-food store. Works like a charm.
Ditto. You cannot find ANY starch where I live but Best Press (ex-spensive!) or that awful Faultless. I have never seen Niagara and can only find Bounce in other cities when I travel. The cheap vodka, water and lavender oil works great and costs about .14¢ to fill my old Best Press bottle. This and having limited access to fabric is one of the perils of small town living.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:08 PM

I love the non-aersol Niagara - if nothing else it has one of the best spray bottles around and you can refill it with whatever. I am in the DFW TX area and have found it at Wal-mart, Krogers and Tom Thumb. I have a very sensitive nose also and this one doesn't bother me. Maybe you can ask your local grocery to carry it? If they can get the aerosol don't see why they can't get the other. The bottle says Niagara Non-Aerosol Spray Starch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]440456[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails niagara.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM

I absolutely love Niagara non-aerosol spray starch and it is not available in Canada and I've looked and looked. I can't even find the laundry starch in the big bottles that you have to dilute. Every time that I am in the U.S., I bring back a case or two. The last time I was down to New York state, I bought 36 bottles of starch (shared with quilt buddies) two absolutely enormous bottles of laundry soap and a new iron. I think the border crossing guy was really confused and commented that I must be washing and pressing shirts for the army!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 PM

I love the scents in Best Press, but not particularly fond of the price. Been using Niagra Sizing and it's fine, used Magic Sizing and that was good to. both are aerosol and I don't mind that.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 AM

I have looked for over a year now for the Niagra non-aerosol but it is not to be found anywhere near me.