Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer >

Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer

Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer

Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 PM

I was in a fabric shop a few weeks ago and was told the price of cotton is going up soon. Can't remember the reason. Here in the UK we pay £8 upwards per metre (only 4inches more thasn a yard) that is why i like to shop on line in the US or Autralia or New Zealand.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 AM

Crikey! We're aleady paying £10-£11 in the UK for fabric - that 15$-16$ at today's rates. I'll be visiting the States later on this year, so guess what I'll be stocking up on? :P
Old 07-05-2010, 03:27 AM

Went to my local Walmart recently and found out they are planning on getting rid of their fabric dept. Guess I will be shopping more online and I will try and pick up more fabric from my local Walmart everytime I go there. Also, my LQS has increased their prices to $10 a yard, too high for me.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:23 AM

In our area there are a lot of thrift shops. These are wonderful places to look. I've pulled cotton blouses and dresses (with tags still attached) for just a dollar or two. Lots of good fabric. Garage sales and auctions bring lots of neat fabric into my stash also.
The word has gotten around that I "accept" scraps so get bags and boxes of scrap. Go through them to see what I can use then pass the rest to church groups who do quilts etc -what they cannot use goes to a "rag man" who somehow uses the fabric for grease rags etc. Not a lot wasted.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:51 AM

Lots of my friends dont do scrappy quilts like I do,so I graciously accept their scraps that will be discarded if I dont give them a home. I love it. lol
Old 07-05-2010, 04:54 AM

Oh no, I just love to do the backing with nice fabric, I really enjoy the reversible quilts. What will I do? Going to Pennsylvania at the end of August, hope I can find some good deals in the Amish shops. Any thoughts on this, will be my first time in PA. Tks
Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 AM

This is another sign of the times. I will cetainly count my blessings over and over again. I live near Philadelphia and there are many fabric outlets that sell beautiful name brand fabrics for $2.49 , $3.99. $4.99. The only catch witht them is that it may be discontinued or limited stock, so you better buy at least thee or four yards at a time. Even with this, 4 yards at $2.49 is @$10.00.

Then I am blessed with a friend whose brother is a tailor and he sends me trash bags filled with magnificent scraps. Sometinmes his scraps are two and three yards of very expensive silks and satins from wedding gowns; eyelets, etc. I make a lot of fancy doll quilts and love paper piecing. It works out wonderfully well. I seldom have to buy with such a stash.

Be encouraged quilters. Look for dressmakers and tailors in your area, you would be surprised what is given for the asking.

Ellis' Granny B
Old 07-05-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ellis' Granny B
This is another sign of the times. I will cetainly count my blessings over and over again. I live near Philadelphia and there are many fabric outlets that sell beautiful name brand fabrics for $2.49 , $3.99. $4.99. The only catch witht them is that it may be discontinued or limited stock, so you better buy at least thee or four yards at a time. Even with this, 4 yards at $2.49 is @$10.00.

Then I am blessed with a friend whose brother is a tailor and he sends me trash bags filled with magnificent scraps. Sometinmes his scraps are two and three yards of very expensive silks and satins from wedding gowns; eyelets, etc. I make a lot of fancy doll quilts and love paper piecing. It works out wonderfully well. I seldom have to buy with such a stash.

Be encouraged quilters. Look for dressmakers and tailors in your area, you would be surprised what is given for the asking.

Ellis' Granny B
Granny,
Where are the fabric outlets in Philly? I get there fairly often but didn't know you have outlets. Which are the best ones?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:59 AM

Man I cannot believe this! And my DH is getting ready to retire. I guess I'd best hit the stores!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 AM

Wow, what an avatar! I am also a sufferer of Fibromyalgia X 10 years now. Been up and down with disease. What works for you?