Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Brain wave

I've just been reading about what notions people want and someone really wants a sliding mat for machine quilting. Well I did too, so I googled, watched a video, and then I had a brain wave. In the bottom of my oven I have a black, non stick (teflon?) sheet that all the bits just fall off so I don't have to clean there and I thought "would it be slippy enough for quilting?". I had a spare sheet in the cupboard, so took it upstairs to the sewing machine, made a needle hole, stuck it down with painter's tape and WOW it makes such a difference!

Blog Entries
    I believe in use what you have. Good Job!

That's a really good idea. I would never have thought of that.

There you go!

Blog Entries
    The craft stores have these in the wilton area, use the coupons and get a even better price. Thanks for the idea.

Our Dollar stores here sell a flexible cutting mat that rolls up for veggies that is reusable and some type of plastic. This also works taped down with green painters tape after cutting a hole for needle.Cheap and works great!

Wow, what a great idea. And so inventive. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
    Our Dollar stores here sell a flexible cutting mat that rolls up for veggies that is reusable and some type of plastic. This also works taped down with green painters tape after cutting a hole for needle.Cheap and works great!
    These make real cheap quilt template material also..

That is a great idea! I have one in my oven and love it, now I am going to have get another one!

I'm lost. What is a sliding mat. Can you show us a photo of your invention. I love new ideas, but this one is not coming together on my drawing board in my brain.

Most ingenious!

They're talking about a mat that is sold to be used when you free motion quilt...it goes beneath your quilt and helps you move the quilt more easily as you sew. Is that clear as mud?? They're fairly expensive because I've priced them...about $25 at my LQS.

Quote Originally Posted by mama's place
    They're talking about a mat that is sold to be used when you free motion quilt...it goes beneath your quilt and helps you move the quilt more easily as you sew. Is that clear as mud?? They're fairly expensive because I've priced them...about $25 at my LQS.
    How can you sew through just a little needle hole? Please don't think I"m a dummy - I just can't picture it. Making the quilt slide easier sounds great, but a mat?

Well, I was one of people that wants one of those sliders, but tomorrow I am going on the hunt for something less expensive. Thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    Quote Originally Posted by mama's place
    How can you sew through just a little needle hole? Please don't think I"m a dummy - I just can't picture it. Making the quilt slide easier sounds great, but a mat?
    It's only for free motion quilting-you put the feed dogs down or cover them so they don't move your fabric (some people don't-they put the stitch length on zero instead). Then you move the fabric yourself to do the free motion quilting. You only need the one little hole in the slider because it doesn't move-it stays in one place and the hole is right where your needles goes up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    Well, I was one of people that wants one of those sliders, but tomorrow I am going on the hunt for something less expensive. Thanks for the tip.
    Same here. I will make a trip to Michaels or JoAnns. Have coupons for both stores.

That sounds like a good idea, I have one of those oven mats I have not put in the oven yet.