Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which brand is the best cutting mat? >

Which brand is the best cutting mat?

Which brand is the best cutting mat?

Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 AM

I agree that it helps if your ruler brand matches the mat brand. Just found that out when I bought a new mat and it happened to be the same brand as the ruler. (Olfa)
Old 07-02-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by mhunt1717
Olfa! Leave it out to destink for a few days!
Mine has been airing for a month, plus the vinegar treatment and it still smells. Not as bad, but the odor isn't gone by any means. It was a door prize. The ones I use and love are Fiskars.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:10 AM

I have an olfa and love it. Since it can be washed/soaked in water (Olfa's love water) the self healing mats. I just put mine on the dining room table on top of a towel and used a small amount of dish detergent and water and a soft veggie brush and lightly scrubbed and then clear water after that. Let it dry. Used a cutting mat sander and went over it and it's like new.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:36 AM

I have used several differennt mats, then saw an ad for an
Alvin mat for cutting and drawing.
It is self healing and its the best I have tried I think it comes in clear (mine) and green and different sizes. Just look it up on the net and you will find different sellers.
I got mine at Hancocks on sale and wouldn't trade it for any other type of mat. It is thicker that the Olfa.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 AM

I have used several different mats, then saw an ad for an
Alvin mat for cutting and drawing.
It is self healing and its the best I have tried I think it comes in clear (mine) and green and different sizes. Just look it up on the net and you will find different sellers.
I got mine at Hancocks on sale and wouldn't trade it for any other type of mat. It is thicker that the Olfa.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM

I agree, Olfa is the best!!!
Originally Posted by suzee
Olfa would be my first choice, fiskars second.
:D
Old 07-02-2011, 08:08 AM

I have tried several different brands of mats then saw an ad for an Alvin cutting and drawing mat. It is thicker than the others, self healing and great for cutting. I could not believe the difference in how much better my rotary cutter works. Haven't changed a blade in over 6 months.
Look up Alvin mats on the net. I got mine at Hancocks on sale and would not trade it for all the others. Of course there's different sizes and mine is clear. Check different sites, several I looked at were very expensive but I believe mine was twenty four dollars for a 24" by 36"
Doris1334
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
I'm hoping to buy a new cutting mat this weekend at Joann's big sale. We can buy 1 regular price item at 1/2 price, and I want to get a really good one...

Which is the best?

Try an Alvin cutting mat for quilt cutting or drawing It is thicker that the other brands I have used and I can't believe the difference in how much better my rotary cutter works. Have not changed the blade in over 6 months with moderate cutting. Just look it up on the net, some places will be more expensive than others but I got a 24X36 for twenty four dollars + shipping at Hancocks. Mine is clear but I believe they come in green also.
Doris1334
Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 AM

I have tried most of them and prefer Olfa. Yes, they will have an odor for a week or so but it will dissipate. :thumbup:
Old 07-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Kas

I have a green Alvin. It is what I used to use in college for my art class, but not the one I have right now. My 60mm blade wasn't cutting very well with it, which I thought was strange. So I took it off and revealed my Olfa which I have had for years. Now my blade works great again, but the Olfa smell has returned! It had stopped smelling before, and now it does again. Weird. And stinky! I have the turning Fiskars brand because the were lots cheaper than the olfa and had handier sizes. I like them fine.