Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brand New Brother Lock 1034D NOISE!!! >

Brand New Brother Lock 1034D NOISE!!!

Brand New Brother Lock 1034D NOISE!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Read in the manual and it will show where to oil it. It is possible someone at the factory for got to oil it before it left. Sounds like that might be the problem.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
It is a loud machine. In the carpet department of Walmart or Kmart or where ever you shop, pick up an area rug made of closed cell foam. They are about 1/4 inch thick and have a printed picture on them. Put it under your serger when you are using it, it will cut the noise by half.

I was given one of the Brother serger's that needed a repair. I figured I had nothing to lose so I took all the covers off of it down to the skeleton. It is actually pretty well made. It has all metal innards, there are no plastic rods or gears to break. The only real weakness is the knob used to set the differential feed, it is plastic with a plastic toothed cog. I can see it breaking down the road - a long way down the road - unless it is misused and abused.

ETA The repair consisted of adjusting the upper looper. It was set in crooked. Once I straightened it out the machine sewed perfectly. I passed it on (free) to a young mom who loves to sew for her 4 little ones and make home dec. projects.
What a nice thing to do.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 AM
Swap Hosts

I read the manual and noticed it said to oil before use!!! YIKES! So I did. Still noisy, so I think I'll keep oiling it for a while and see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM

I have that same serger, yes it is louder than my other machines. I think you will like it, just use away from adjoining apartments.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Swap Hosts

I am enjoying it enormously! It seems to have gotten a little more quiet but it's still noisy. Sews like a dream, so I'll learn to live with it.