Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM >

BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM

BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM

Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
PatG,
The first thing my Husqvarna Viking Dealer told me was that Wal-Mart Needles weren't to be used with the Designer I USB & I should use Schmetz. After using 80s to hem Denim I kept breaking needles, went back in & she told me to use 90s or 100s for Denim. They are now carrying Organ Needles that work well too, and are a better value. FMQing is a delicate maneuver, & if one entity is off even a tad, it creates problems. I keep an array of Needle sizes, as I have a Small Home Sewing Business & never know what customers will bring me.

Google fabric type to find out the size needle you need for different fabrics, then try the next size needle when FMQing.

You mention that your Dealer carries 100 needles for $50, but what brand are they? Hope this helps.
It is Schmetz needles I buy at Wal Mart. The ones I bought at my LQS in bulk are also Schmetz. I wouldn't have taken a risk with some unknown brand.
I'm going to get stronger needles as you suggested as soon as I go to town again. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 PM

I have had the same problem and finally took my machine in for a tune up. What a difference it made. I had struggled through several quilts with broken needles, skipped stitches, and breaking threads. Everytime I would think I had the problem figured out, I would encounter another problem. Sure wish I had just taken it in sooner. Now I can even use those thread brands that I would never have tried before. Maybe it is just time for a tune up for your machine also.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by so2sew
I have had the same problem and finally took my machine in for a tune up. What a difference it made. I had struggled through several quilts with broken needles, skipped stitches, and breaking threads. Everytime I would think I had the problem figured out, I would encounter another problem. Sure wish I had just taken it in sooner. Now I can even use those thread brands that I would never have tried before. Maybe it is just time for a tune up for your machine also.
I had it serviced in Aug. I'm just reassured to hear that I'm not the only one with the prob. of breaking needles.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by so2sew
I had it serviced in Aug. I'm just reassured to hear that I'm not the only one with the prob. of breaking needles.
Perhaps the shaft has gotten bent some way. Just hate to see you struggle with this like I did. My needle threader was also bent and I know you said you did not use it, but perhaps it is not lining up properly if it is hitting the plate.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Power Poster

Try everything the board members mentioned. If nothing works, it's time for your machine to go to the hospital! Sometimes band-aids just don't work! Good luck!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:10 AM

I also had a bent shaft that caused the needle to break. . The shaft is the size of a straw and to bend it would take a lot of force. How it got bent in the first place, I have no idea
Old 04-18-2011, 02:44 AM

I was breaking needles left and right. I finally took my machine to a repair shop.It sems that the timing was off ?
It works great now!!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 AM

I had a problem with my needle last week when doing FM. I happened to be in a class and the instructor tried. Turned out I had a very small nick - burr - in the plate where the needle goes down - sorry not good at the correct name for parts of the macine. Anyway, I could straight stich fine, but when the feed dog? was lowered for FM the needlethread would catch on the burr which was only exposed when FM. I remembered I had broken a needle a week or two before and I believe that was the source of the burr. Just needs to be fled smooth.