Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking quilts?? >

marking quilts??

marking quilts??

Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 AM

I am wondering if some one out there can give me some new ideas on how to mark my quilts for FM quilting so I can see it. I have been using crayola washable markers and sand paper temp plate with holes to mark the lines but seems to me there should be an eaiser way and I am sure some of you smart ladies will come up with an idea I can use Thank redbug
Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 AM

sometimes i use a pounce pad, it looks like a board eraser but is filled with a special chalk that irons away, it's great for stencils
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Banned

other ways are:
Use the double blade knife to cut your stencils. However, you probably can't use it with sandpaper as it would dull the blades. You can make a temporary stencil out of freezer paper or.......
the flexible plastic used for cutting stencils.
Markers are: Multi-Pastel cha;k pencils in either white or light gray.
Or.....can use the spray chalk but then would not be able to remove it from the sandpaper or plastic.
Or if your design is not compicated can do a template out of plastic and mark around it. I find the double blade knif and flexible plastic (name DBK) to be the best if I have a lot to mark.
Also the new ceramic mechanical marking pencils is very good for dark fabrics.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 AM

I use a dark, hard-lead artist pencil to mark most of my quilts (or a silver pencil for dark fabrics). I do a lot of freehand marking...I've gotten brave with my quilting!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 AM

I was told to use pencil but found pencil does not always wash out of light fabric,,,,, so use caution there.

I;ll be following this post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 AM

I've gone back to the old blue wash away markers. If it's dark fabric I use tailor's chalk.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM

i use miracle chalk the irons away in either the original, the chubby crayon, or the markers.

if i'm working with light fabrics i use the glow in the dark iron away chalk and turn on my black light.

i also use golden threads paper from time to time.

i also use iron away stabilizer from time to time too.

i just go with the best method for that particular quilt
Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM

I draw my designs on Sulky Solvy with the washable markers, then I pin it to the quilt, do my FMQ, cut away any bulky extra, bind and wash the quilt. The rest disappears in the wash. I don't have to worry about marks not coming out of the fabric.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:25 PM

I have used the Golden Threads paper, and I liked that a lot. Only hangup was in tearing it off in heavily stitched areas sometimes you get little pieces of paper stuck that you have to pick out with a pin. I use the air disappearing purple marker, but sometimes that goes away too fast. I have used pencil, but didn't think it was very effective for my setup. I have the Crayold washable markers but haven't tried them yet.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I use Glad Press n' Seal. You mark your design on the non-sticky side with a sharpie (not by your quilt!) You press the plastic to your quilt top and it will stay on quite well. Then you sew through it with your machine until the design is completed. The plastic is then pulled off and your design is done. The plastic tends to stick in tight areas but with tweezer you can get it out. I use this method when I am worried about any of the other marking methods showing on my fabric or if I want a really clear line to stitch by. Try it on a sample to see if it will work for you.