Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Breaking thread >

Breaking thread

Breaking thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Ok...I seriously want to scream...and I have. I paid a NICE price for this Viking Topaz 30 and my blinkin string keep breaking... I've changed the needle and put the thread spool every way I can think. Still the thread breaks.... I'm just sewing blocks so I'm using All Purpose Coats Dual Duty thread... Why THREAD are you being mean to me???
Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM

Scream! It is good for the soul!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

What kind of spool is it on? I find that depending on how the thread feeds off the spool, some like to be upright and some like to be sideways. Be careful that the little notch for the thread end is not catching and breaking the thread. Check that your tension is not too tight. Take a length of thread and wrap it around your hands, pull your hands apart and see if it breaks too easily. The thread may be old or weak.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Is the thread new? I just learned this past week that thread does get old and rots. If you give it a slight tug on the thread if it breaks its rotten. I was told that sometimes NEW spools are rotten sometimes too but not very often.
You might want to empty out the bobbin (I know its wasting) but refill your bobbin. Change your needle, clean out the bobbin area really good too. Could you be using the wrong needle for the fabric your using?
I'm just rattling here so I am sure that someone else will come along and tell you what to do thats more knowledgeable then I am.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR
Ok...I seriously want to scream...and I have. I paid a NICE price for this Viking Topaz 30 and my blinkin string keep breaking... I've changed the needle and put the thread spool every way I can think. Still the thread breaks.... I'm just sewing blocks so I'm using All Purpose Coats Dual Duty thread... Why THREAD are you being mean to me???
Thread doesnt break when I pull it. Checking tension now. Seriously it's breaking every 4 inches now and I'm cussing in my head.....
Old 08-28-2011, 07:42 PM

I actually don't like that thread. Maybe your machine does not like it either. My Bernina threw a fit when I used a Silk finish variegated thread from Metler, expensive stuff but my machine hated it. Do you have another brand of thread to try???
Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Is the thread new? I just learned this past week that thread does get old and rots. If you give it a slight tug on the thread if it breaks its rotten. I was told that sometimes NEW spools are rotten sometimes too but not very often.
You might want to empty out the bobbin (I know its wasting) but refill your bobbin. Change your needle, clean out the bobbin area really good too. Could you be using the wrong needle for the fabric your using?
I'm just rattling here so I am sure that someone else will come along and tell you what to do thats more knowledgeable then I am.
I think YOU were right...... I pulled the dumb brown thread again HARDER and it had some GIVE.... So I changed thread and VOILIA?? I'm not French... BUT IT'S SEWING.... THANK YOU ALL... No more cussing in my head... =)
Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 PM

I had that problem as well not too long ago. Of course, I was fmq and not just piecing. Someone on this board suggested using a #16 needle. I did that, and I have not had anymore trouble at all. I even use it to piece with. Whoever suggested that....a great big thank you to you.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I actually don't like that thread. Maybe your machine does not like it either. My Bernina threw a fit when I used a Silk finish variegated thread from Metler, expensive stuff but my machine hated it. Do you have another brand of thread to try???
OK, so what do you sew with when you're making quilts with cotton?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 PM

I like to use Aurifil thread. I will also use Metler cotton and sometime Gutterman cotton. I have also used the Connecting threads Essential Thread, but that does leave a lot of lint. My machine likes all these threads.