Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bridal & Baby shower gifts >

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 PM

I just gave a baby shower for my daughter-in-law a few weeks ago. It was very traditional. I put on the invitation where she was registered. I had a luncheon, and played baby shower bingo while she opened the gifts. My son and DIL are from out of town so stayed at our house that night. She came right into the house, set down and wrote out the thank yous.
I would have a hard time getting an invitation telling me they want gift cards.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:01 PM

I haven't gotten one of those yet but you can be sure I wont be going if I do get one.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

I think that is very tacky.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM

I never got an invitation that wanted gift cards only. It does seem tacky, but maybe there's a reason.I personally would never put that on an invite. My daughter just got married in April. And there were 2 showers. One was up north where we used to live given by her Maid of Honor and a Bridesmaid and I had one for her work friends. The guests knew where she was registered and some got gifts from the registry and others gave gift cards or money.I just drove the gifts from the up north shower back home with me.She got the things they really wanted with the gift cards.Some of the ladies got her frilly baby dolls and sexy underwear.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 PM

I agree--it is tacky. They might as well suggested the amount of money the gift card should be for. It's like they are charging admission or something. As for the older couple who already have everything, perhaps a favorite charity would benefit instead of sugesting what gifts should be given.
Sue
Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 PM

If a couple has already set up house and is living together why even have a 'bridal shower' I thought the shower was to help a new couple set up house!!!!!!
I opt for the charity also!!!!!!!!!!!1
Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I agree--it is tacky. They might as well suggested the amount of money the gift card should be for. It's like they are charging admission or something. As for the older couple who already have everything, perhaps a favorite charity would benefit instead of sugesting what gifts should be given.
Sue
Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by bj
I've been invited to one like that. Both were older (mid-30's) and had lived on their own since college and had nice things. She already had every kitchen gadget known. They asked for gift cards to Home Depot, as they'd bought an old fixer-upper house. I actually thought it was a great idea, for them. I think cards are sometimes a good idea, especially when you don't know the couples all that well.
This may be a good idea as a suggestion, but not as a directive. I think I would pass on this situation. This event sound like gift-fishing.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 PM

The thank you cards are another issue. I read where a bride to be wanted to write one thank you card and pass it around at the shower. Yes, the attendees heard about it in advance. I would not attend that shower for sure!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by gmaybee
I just gave a baby shower for my daughter-in-law a few weeks ago. It was very traditional. I put on the invitation where she was registered. I had a luncheon, and played baby shower bingo while she opened the gifts. My son and DIL are from out of town so stayed at our house that night. She came right into the house, set down and wrote out the thank yous.
That is so awesome that your DIL wrote out the thank-yous right away like that. I know that people wonder whether you need to write thank-yous when you've opened the gifts in front of the giver at a shower and hopefully thanked them then, but it's always nice to get a written thank-you later. And especially for anyone who mailed a gift, getting a prompt thank-you is so nice - otherwise, if you didn't put a delivery confirmation on it, you don't know if they even got it!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:55 PM

Couple of thoughts here.

Sometimes gift cards are the best way to go ...
- if a soon to be married couple already have their own places and don't need much 'stuff'. Coordinating the cards for certain stores - like Home Depot, Lowe's, or such - makes total sense. Remember these are guidelines, and sometimes have a purpose.
- if the person the shower is for lives far away and gifts would be hard to take home. Then there might be the option of giving a picture of the gift and then mailing the gift to them.
- if there are a lot of hand me downs already for a baby or the parents to be don't have much room for more 'stuff.'

Of course you could always call whoever is hosting the shower and talk about preferences/reasons/ etc and then decide if you can make it or not.

Funny topic in a way. This summer one gal I met said that there had been so many divorces that now she only makes picnic quilts for newly weds and waits til the 5th year anniversary before making a bed quilt.

My bridal gifts have ranged from addressing the invitations with calligraphy to decorating the reception hall. These were really appreciated gifts, too.

ali