Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
broken dishes >

broken dishes

broken dishes

Old 02-06-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by NatalieF View Post
I've just finished putting a broken dishes together. 884 little blocks. I think I was marginally insane when I thought of making this, but I'm really glad I did. I'm loving the effect. I'm thinking I might put a navy blue border around all of it.

Now my question is...how would you quilt this? The pattern is kind of busy, so I don't want to make it so it hurts your brain to look at it.

Whaddya think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567552[/ATTACH]
I agree with the others that have suggested something swirl-y or using curves. In the darker thread you could do an edge to edge swirly type of quilting and then do a couple thread changes and do a more custom design in the yellow/gold area where it can be seen.

Also, I would piece the binding using 2-3 of the fabrics used. Such as dark blue, light blue, gold. I would make the dark binding change color when it came to the lighter blue, and then I would change the color again to the gold binding when I got to those two big corner edges. Not hard to do, but a bit more time consuming. I think it would enhance the quilt overall.

I hope to see the finished product!! :-)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 AM

thanks for all the help! I truly appreciate it!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Baptist fan....neutral thread so you see the patchwork design, no border, just bind...I like the idea of the variegated colors...would be awesome......jmho
Old 02-06-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Broken Dishes turns out to be just a variance of pinwheels and hour glass blocks. They all take a piece made of two half square triangles sewn together and put them together in different ways. But in this quilt you can see them all
That"s what really surprised me as I made it. Sometimes I look at it and see pinwheels, and sometimes I see hourglass, broken dishes....blink and your perspective changes. I really didn't expect it at all.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Great top! Amy over at freemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot.com/ is starting on quilting her triangle quilt and it may give you some ideas.
NatalieF : your quilt is stunning. A lot of persistence went into this for sure, but it definitely paid off !!!
Tartan: Thanks for the link as I am going to be making a triangle quilt in Ombre Greys as a wedding quilt and this really would bring it up a notch !
Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 AM

Oh My Goodness!!! Wow!!! My hat is off too you - what a phenomenal job. As for quilting, I would not want to do anything that would distract from this outstanding work. Perhaps just a basic diagonal pattern as far apart as possible, enough to hold without being obvious. With my morning coffee, I toast to you 'what a great job to stick with this quilt!'
Old 02-07-2017, 08:20 AM

I can't suggest a quilting design, but your quilt is already gorgeous!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:54 AM

I would stitch in the ditch using a neutral thread. Use a walking foot, sew in opposite directions, up and down.