Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Broken rulers >

Broken rulers

Broken rulers

Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 PM

Default Broken rulers

Have any of you a way of glueing rulers back together. I have broken yet another 24 inch ruler this year.
They are always clean cuts but I'm so mad at myself.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 AM

I sat on my 24 x 6 1/2 ruler when I was at the LQS for a class - the crack was so loud everyone heard it and of course it was embarassing to say the least. As it's my favourite ruler, I had to figure out how to repair it - here is what I did:
Read all the way through first to make sure you have everything you need ready at hand -
I found a place I could brace one end of the ruler tight up against, while laying it flat on the surface ( by co-incidence, my desk has this slight ledge along one side). I put parchment paper underneath where the join would be. I test fitted the edges a few times to make sure I could line them up cleanly and quickly.
I used Gorilla Glue (like super glue or Krazy glue) to baste a small thread of glue along the joining edge of one piece.
Then I lined up the edges exactly, pressing down from the top as well as from the side that was not braced.(Because the other side was braced/wedged, this gave me something to push against).
I held it in place like that for a minute or two, then I took a spare, 4 inch square ruler, put glue around the square about 1 inch in from all the edges. I put it in place on top of the join, lining up it's marking lines with the ruler I was repairing, more or less centering it. I held that in place for a minute or two, then I placed a very heavy weight on top, another heavy weight pushing from the unbraced side and left it overnight. I am not sure if the weights are required but I didn't want any shifting about.
The next morning, I took off the weights, peeled off the parchment paper and used a paring knife to gently scrape away any excess paper or glue.
This ruler is now pretty much good as new, I can see my lines, I can line up on my fabric and I can cut along it's edges, even with the join as it is barely noticeable. I am quite happy with this repair - all my rulers are the same make/manufacturer with the same pattern of cutting lines and I can't buy them anymore, so I really wanted a workable repair.
If you need more info, or pictures, please PM me.
Good luck,
GEMRM
Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 AM

If it's in many pieces, I don't think I'd bother. If it's just in two pieces with no missing chips along the broken edges, you can just superglue it. I broke a corner off a ruler once and superglue has held it just fine for a few years now. It's barely noticeable.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I used $ store Crazy glue to fix my 15 inch square after I broke it. I put a long strip of clear tape on the bottom after matching the 2 pieces back up, make extra sure to get the edge perfect. I used the tape as a hinge at the table edge and ran a bead of the crazy glue along the crack. I quickly put the ruler back up on the table and held the ruler down and together for a bit. I left it overnight to dry and it is still going strong a year later. I left the clear tape on the bottom because it doesn't interfer with seeing through the ruler and the glue is stuck to it also.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I just used heavy clear moving tape on my 8.5" ruler. I taped both sides. Maybe one day I will try the glue. Thanks for the update !!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I used clear packing tape on a clean cut, on the back, and it's still holding after several years. I'd glue it (clear glue) then put the packing tape across it. I don't know why I hang on to it. At last count I had five 24" long rulers. I won three of them on blog and facebook give a ways.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 05-07-2013 at 03:14 PM.