Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Broken wrist >

Broken wrist

Broken wrist

Old 07-07-2018, 04:24 AM

I broke mine a few days before mothers day this year, just recouperating, getting back to sewing & crocheting AND driving!! but I made it. I also think weights for the material would be a good one, which I have to experiment myself. cutting I haven't tried yet, but I did cut the plastic bag for the homeless mat,(cutting in strips) and did fine there, of course the stuff did move some. as some of you said, weights, what about those clips to put on the table & material to hold down while cutting? looks like I am going to have to try this too. I had 20 pins & a plate put in mine, mine was falling backward and trying to catch myself. I do physical therapy daily. now on to projects!! I am doing fine in crocheting though. anyway AJ everything will work out just fine, I am 71 so how about that.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:17 AM

Default Pre-cut quilt kits

Originally Posted by AJRed View Post
I broke my left wrist in April. Thank heavens that I am right handed. I am currently bored out my of wits. I usually do a lot of sewing, quilting, and machine knitting, but I am not up to most of that. I have experimented with some paper piecing, and the sewing part is going well.

My biggest problem is cutting. I can't use my left hand to hold down a ruler. I tried a bit yesterday assembling a paper pieced block, and I am hurting pretty bad. I have been trimming those nice little interior pieces with scissors, but am having trouble squaring up the block.

I wonder if any of you have any ideas. I am really getting bored and frustrated. I am doing my PT, but I have a long way to go until I am better. I need some ideas for using pre-cuts that won't take more cutting, or some place to buy some pre-cut quilt kits.

While I have been laid up, I was on jury duty for 9 days. Suffice it to say that it was a case that no one wants to hear, but we found the molester guilty. I would really love to make some charity quilts for our center for abused kids, but I am at a loss.

I would appreciate any ideas that you may have.

Thanks!

AJRed
Jordan Fabrics has pre-cut quilt kits. I am not affiliated with them, but I have purchased a log cabin kit and it was fantastic. Beautifully cut, each piece fit perfectly. They are starched and hand cut.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your injury---I know firsthand how that feels! 13 years ago, I broke my left wrist too. I was "fortunate" enough not to have a cast after the surgery to put in a titanium plate and 8 screws, but somehow I still managed to quilt. For the life of me I can't remember how I handled cutting. I was so grateful for my surgeon's skill in getting me back together, I made him a very unusual gift. I took the hard copies of my xrays showing the plate and screws and printed them on fabric, which I then made into a wall hanging for him. I told him because of what he did I was able to get back to what I did. He loved it and said he could honestly say he'd never received anything like it before! Good luck with your recovery and the best thing I can tell you is do everything your doctor tells you! Also, if you need to get the flexibility back into your hand, the American Sign Language finger spelling alphabet is great for that---plus you can learn a new "language"! (You can find this online) Good luck!
Old 07-07-2018, 03:44 PM

I too was going to suggest holding the ruler with your forearm; IF you have some hand weights; maybe 5 pounds I've seen on youtube where they will put one of the weights on the end furthest from you and then use your forearm and cut carefully.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:34 PM

I sympathize with you totally. I broke my right wrist in July 2004, less than two months after my DH passed away -- then we had hurricane's -- three in a row (although one turned away from us, praise God!). I was still working full time as a legal assistant, which is pretty difficult to do when your right had/arm are your dominate limb. My boss actually had to hire someone to help -- my orthopedic physician threatened me with the necessity of having to have surgery, if I didn't quit using my wrist so it would heal.! I wasn't making quilts back then, but It's darn hard to sign your name with your left hand when you're right handed! Mostly, they do eventually heal -- it just takes time!
Old 07-07-2018, 07:29 PM

I fully understand your situation. I am so sorry about your injury. A couple of years ago I had a fall in a bathroom and broke my left shoulder. I was miserable and laid up for months after surgery, the whole 9 yards. I had plenty of fabric but could not cut. So I ran a small ad on Craigslist asking to hire a cutter. It was the best thing I ever did for myself! I met two fantastic women who were great quilt cutters and loads of fun. They have become fast friends and partners in quilting. One even got me to join a guild. One lady traded cutting for me to do binding and embroidery. Oh, it has been the best! The shoulder replacement is sort of okay!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 AM

Perhaps a light weight would help you keep fabrics in place. I have 2 antique irons ( solid metal) which I can use to help keep stuff in place when I need them.