Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother/Babylock Machines >

Brother/Babylock Machines

Brother/Babylock Machines

Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 AM

Heh. Is he trying to tell you the Janome is all metal? If so, he's lying and you should take your business down the road, for sure. I have a Janome 8900 and it's a fine machine. But I like my Brother DreamCreator better. This is the fourth Brother I've owned in 10 years (still have two of the three older machines; sold the 2500D because I was stupid) and I can tell you that they are the quietest, most reliable machines I've ever encountered. My mother has sewn my entire life, and she has two brothers that she wouldn't trade for anything. So that's six Brothers between the two of us. Then my dad has had two - he used an inexpensive Walmart machine at first, then decided he wanted something with a few more stitches. He uses them to make vinyl boat seats and uses the decorative stitches on them! So ... eight machines, all with pretty heavy duty usage ... the worst problem we've had between us was when my mom's 4000D auto threader got out of alignment. A quick trip to the shop and it was fixed.

Plastic, schmastic. I'll put any of these Brothers up against any other machine any day of the week. I can guarantee that I'll outsew anyone, primarily because I know MY machines are reliable!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:30 AM

I love my Crescendo, but there are many good machines out there. As mentioned, they all have some plastic parts(including Janomes, I had a high end one and it definitely had plastic inside!). What would concern me is buying from a dealer that bad mouths other brands, he is not someone I would feel I could trust. It is worth driving a while to find a good dealer that you can work with over time.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts View Post
I love my Crescendo, but there are many good machines out there. As mentioned, they all have some plastic parts(including Janomes, I had a high end one and it definitely had plastic inside!). What would concern me is buying from a dealer that bad mouths other brands, he is not someone I would feel I could trust. It is worth driving a while to find a good dealer that you can work with over time.
I agree he is a shady guy
Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
He wants to sell you a Janome. Period. I have owned Brother/Babylock machines for 20 years. In fact I have owned every brand of machine, except Bernina (just never found a dealer I liked). Only one problem with any machine in my entire sew career (50 years), but had NOTHING to do with plastic parts. People need to get over this "plastic" problem. These machines are not the kind of plastic your Gatoraid bottles are made from, this is high impact/industrial plastic that is also used in the automobile you drive. Engineering has come a long way and every machine on the market has plastic in its construction. Now that said, you will find lemons in every brand. You will also find that every brand has both low end and high end machines, and their construction and "extras" will also be low/high end. You will not get the "toys" on the $300.00 machine that are on the $9000.00 machine, no matter what the brand. Same as buying the Yugo (remember that one?) and a Mercedes Benz. Buy your Brother/Babylock with confidence, or any machine you chose. I will NEVER purchase from a sales person who purposely puts down one brand over another, because he has an agenda. He wants to get your money, but he may not necessarily be there for you when you need help. Find a dealer you feel comfortable with. Ask questions and test drive the machine, bring your own fabrics to practice on. Enjoy the "new machine smell".
Agree! All new machines have plastic parts. Even Bernina, sorry to the poster who claims otherwise. My Bernina TOL machine has many plastic parts. They all do.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:18 AM

Get a new dealer the high end machines are made of mostly metal, how do I know, my brother dreamweaver weighs almost 50lbs and my babylock espire weighed almost 30lbs. he is obviously bashing brother/babylock and giving you miss information so that you will buy a janome from him. I don't understand why some dealers feel the need to do this. Most high end computerized machines do have a few plastic parts, but they are usually high grade industrial strength type plastic, and most people have had these high end machines for over 10years, many people still have their brother ULT's and love them and they still run with millions of stitches on them. I personally would walk away from that dealer, if you are interested in certain machines just read the reviews on them. I have read alot of reviews over the years and the brother/babylock brands I have read far fewer complaints and they seem to be more dependable, now if you are talking low end brothers the plastic is there, but if you are paying 1-200 dollars for a machine I wouldn't expect something durable, This is the area I see most complaints, but I believe its because people don't understand what they are buy, this being said however I have had all my low end brothers for a long time, My first was purchased for me in 94 and my MIL sews on it to this day. I purchased one online in 2005 mechanical plastic, also still runs. My last puchase was almost 3 years ago a small computerized from yes walmart, and yes it still runs beautifully and I used it pretty heavily the first year I got it for classes I took weekly and there were many brands there and I have to say sometimes my machines stitching looked better than some of those high end machines. My machines have never been in the shop for more than a cleaning, other than my dreamy to fix timing for an error I did, and for some machines of other brands in my same price class can't say that about theirs, and thats from my same dealer who deals multiple brands. To me the ones I have seen the least complaints on high end seem to be brother, babylock, janome, and juki. I have seen viking complaints less than the bernina or pfaff, but have met a lot of people with problems with their high end bernina/pfaffs for the money spent I would be mad. So just ignore dealer, do your own research, test drive as much as posible before making a decision, this is an investment. Your using the machine, not the dealer.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 AM

I love my brother and babylock have no trouble with them. I also have a husquvarna and would never buy another, they nickle and dime you to death. My baby and brother sew just as good if not better than viking.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM

Go on the Brother webpage for information on what the machines are made of. I never take the word of anyone trying to sell me something, I always check it out myself before I buy.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

I have 4 Brother machines.

1 machine is a very CHEAP ($50) machine that I bought to teach my
youngest daughter on (wasn't going to let her use my combos yet).
Good thing I bought just a cheap machine because she lost total interest
after several weeks.

1 machine was my very FIRST brand new machine which I purchased at
WalMart in 2002 for about $300 was a great machine for several years.
But when I started having issues with the machine I went looking at new
machine at a dealer.

In 2007 I got my next new machine was a Brother Innov-Is 1000 combo
sewing/emb machine I was in love with learning to embroider. Although
it took me a few years I soon learned that the 5x7 hoop was just not big
enough for me.

So in 2012 I got another new machine this time the Brother Innov-Is 1500D
(Disney) it has a 6x10 hoop and I really LOVE this machine.

But guess what?

Yep I am wanting a multi-needle machine now, and I have my eye on the
Brother PR1000e 10 needle machine.

PLUS I also want to get the Babylock Tiara sit-down mid arm machine.

Now to just get the money to buy these machines.

Don't fear the Brother/Babylock machines.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:56 AM

I have 2 Brother sewing embroidery combos (1800D innovis and 2500D innovis) both are still churning away and I do a LOT of embroidery on them. They both sew very well too although I don't do much of that on them since I got a Juki for that. I did lots of quilts on the 1800 after I first bought it so.....I think someone might just not want you to buy anything but their brand!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

I have straight stitch only Babylock Jane and a Juki TL98QE Straight stitch only. Both machines are very well made and stitch beautifully. My Daughter has a Brother 1500 and it is as good as my machines, although it was a little less money.
I would not buy anything from a salesperson like that. He is not reputable talking like that.