Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother PE-Design Ver 2.0 >

Brother PE-Design Ver 2.0

Brother PE-Design Ver 2.0

Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
quiltingsavta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 396
Default Brother PE-Design Ver 2.0

Hi Everyone - geez I haven't been on this board in like "FOREVER". Sorry. Life just gets in the way, but I hope to be back chatting with all of you real soon.

So I have a dilema. OK now please don't laugh at me since I'm very vulnerable right now....lol. My computer is finally dieing down on me and I have to bite the bullet and get a new one. My kids tell me to get a MAC but it's soooo damn expensive. I'm not a frivolous gal, simple is my middle name. Well not really. I'm going this weekend to check out the MACs just to appease my kids. But here is my question and remember I said don't laugh? I have a Brother embroidery machine which I just love. I purchased the Brother PE-Design software upteen years ago....so long ago the software is on disks instead of CD's. Remember disks? It is version 2.0. It has served me well and like I said, I'm simplistic and my motto is why fix it if it ain't broke. I do embroidery all the time and have hundreds of designs that I've purchased throughout the years. I went on the Brother website and see now that the software is up to version 7.0 or 8.0 or something like that. I believe the memory card is still the same one as I have but the card reader/writer is different, smaller than the one I have. I'm sure the one I have is fine, but was wondering if the software I have can be loaded up on the MAC should I break down and buy one. In either case, whatever computer I get, would I still be able to use the disks? Of course I know the tower would have to accept a floppy and most new computers don't have it anymore. Geez, what a headache. Any input, suggestions would so be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
quiltingsavta is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
Default

i believe you can buy pes basic (which is like what you have) for about 100---
twoxover is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tennessee, UC area
Posts: 1,432
Default

Here ya go--I had the version 2...now have version 4 and version 5. Both 2 (3) & 4 are connected via parallel or serial port..the v5 and later connect via USB. You won't easily find a laptop with those ports--thus I use v5. To my "fairly recent" knowledge, Mac has not supported any form of embroidery software. Tho there is one now that is available for Mac..but not Brother. If so, it is new to me. But you can go to the Brother site and look into the updates to see if they have a patch for Mac. Re the disks, you can buy an external 3.5 floppy drive (I have 2 of those--I'm thinking "extinction"!) If you are already familiar with your software (and it will do almost anything you want it to!), I would recommend just replacing my computer with a desktop with the tower/all the connections..if you can find it. And I know Brother makes a patch for the v4 to accomodate the operating systems Vista & Win7. You should do a thorough search to be sure if your new computer will be compatible. I love XP--own 4 of them just for my emb program. What would you call a person like me? haha
mermaid is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tennessee, UC area
Posts: 1,432
Default

Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
i believe you can buy pes basic (which is like what you have) for about 100---
PE Basic only transfers designs to card from computer. V 2 can be used for digitizing and many more features.
mermaid is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,165
Default

You can now buy software for the Mac. It's called Embrilliance. You should check reviews. I think Nancy's Notions might have it. I don't use a Mac, but the last time I saw any software for embroidery - it came from Wabbit Wanch and that was the first Pfaff program!

Here's a page with some links. Looks like there are now at least 3 programs.
Weezy Rider is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
quiltingsavta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 396
Default

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Here ya go--I had the version 2...now have version 4 and version 5. Both 2 (3) & 4 are connected via parallel or serial port..the v5 and later connect via USB. You won't easily find a laptop with those ports--thus I use v5. To my "fairly recent" knowledge, Mac has not supported any form of embroidery software. Tho there is one now that is available for Mac..but not Brother. If so, it is new to me. But you can go to the Brother site and look into the updates to see if they have a patch for Mac. Re the disks, you can buy an external 3.5 floppy drive (I have 2 of those--I'm thinking "extinction"!) If you are already familiar with your software (and it will do almost anything you want it to!), I would recommend just replacing my computer with a desktop with the tower/all the connections..if you can find it. And I know Brother makes a patch for the v4 to accomodate the operating systems Vista & Win7. You should do a thorough search to be sure if your new computer will be compatible. I love XP--own 4 of them just for my emb program. What would you call a person like me? haha
Thanks so much for your input.
quiltingsavta is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
quiltingsavta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 396
Default

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
You can now buy software for the Mac. It's called Embrilliance. You should check reviews. I think Nancy's Notions might have it. I don't use a Mac, but the last time I saw any software for embroidery - it came from Wabbit Wanch and that was the first Pfaff program!

Here's a page with some links. Looks like there are now at least 3 programs.
Thanks - didn't see the link though - can you resend?
quiltingsavta is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,171
Default

There are very limited embroidery software for macs out there, you would have to have a pc platform to run most softwares out there so not it will not work on a mac unless you have the platform. If you don't want a mac, don't get one just to please the kids, get what you want, you're the one that has to use it
Dolphyngyrl is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tennessee, UC area
Posts: 1,432
Default

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
You can now buy software for the Mac. It's called Embrilliance. You should check reviews. I think Nancy's Notions might have it. I don't use a Mac, but the last time I saw any software for embroidery - it came from Wabbit Wanch and that was the first Pfaff program!

Here's a page with some links. Looks like there are now at least 3 programs.
I have Embrilliance Thumbnails, but it is software that shows you images of your designs ; and yes, it does work with Mac...but it is not an embroidery program. for working with designs and digitizing..
mermaid is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 737
Default

For the difference in the price of a PC and a Mac, you could probably buy the PC and pay to upgrade your software to a new version. I bought ver. 7 from Allbrands, but I don't know if they still have it. I don't use it enough to warrant upgrading to the newest version, this does all I need.

In checking the Allbrands website, they have version 4 for purchase and version 8 upgrade.

Forgot, though, you would need the new box. The older version one won't work with the newer versions of the software and the old card won't work in the new box and the new card won't work in the old one. So my idea might not work after all!

Last edited by Ginaky; 01-04-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Ginaky is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
stitchingcrazy
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
14
03-12-2014 03:06 PM
MaryKatherine
Pictures
83
01-15-2014 04:02 PM
badjujumama
Main
5
12-09-2011 05:53 PM
Sugarpumpkin
Main
17
02-10-2010 06:05 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.