Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother PQ 1500s Free-Motion Foot Question >

Brother PQ 1500s Free-Motion Foot Question

Brother PQ 1500s Free-Motion Foot Question

Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 AM

I have just ordered an open toe darning foot for my Brother PQ1500s sewing machine from sewing parts on line where they state the part is guaranteed to fit this machine. The price is not that expensive, so hopefully I will not be disappointed. http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bro...-group-pq.aspx
Old 01-18-2016, 06:52 AM

Thanks Cindy V for your response. I will try your suggestions and see what happens. I wasn't able to pop out the plastic disc in the free motion foot, so I still use it.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:54 AM

RainyBC all the open toe feet I bought did "fit" the machine, the problem was they did not quilt well and made a funny noise when I tried to quilt. So guaranteed to fit means nothing. I want a guarantee it works! So please tell me did this foot you purchased work well when you quilted?
Old 01-18-2016, 06:58 AM

Peckish while the Brother 1500, the Janome 1600 and the Babylock, Juki, etc. are all very similar machines, they don't always use the same free motion foot. The local sewing machine dealers do not give refunds. Credit only and some will not allow presser feet to be returned at all, so that would get too expensive buying feet to see if it works on my machine.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:02 AM

DottyMo, Leah Day used an entirely different free motion foot. Hers was easy to cut. The Brother 1500 free motion foot is round metal with a round plastic disc in the center. Much harder to cut and if it didn't work or I didn't cut it properly, it would cost around $50 for another foot to buy. Not worth cutting into that foot!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:09 AM

ManiacQuilter2: Patrick Lose popped out the plastic piece on an open-toed applique foot, which is a different foot and easier to do than the free motion Brother 1500 foot. Not so easy to pop it out. I tried to with no luck. $50 to buy another genuine Brother foot that works. When free motion quilting I do focus on where I am going, but I cannot see when how close I am to the stitches I just stitched. Such as when I am meandering with my quilting and I am moving all around, I can't see if I am about to stitch over the quilting I just made or not. I would like to be able to get close to but not stitch over the quilting lines I just stitched and that's my problem with not seeing well enough with that foot. It's not the same as straight stitching or doing applique where you are looking ahead.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by PatchouliMoonStudio View Post
Peckish while the Brother 1500, the Janome 1600 and the Babylock, Juki, etc. are all very similar machines, they don't always use the same free motion foot.
That's kind of the point. The Janome foot has much better visibility than the Brother foot. I own both machines and have successfully used the Janome fmq foot on my Brother.

Originally Posted by PatchouliMoonStudio View Post
The local sewing machine dealers do not give refunds. Credit only and some will not allow presser feet to be returned at all, so that would get too expensive buying feet to see if it works on my machine.
Well, do what you want, then. I was just trying to help.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 PM

I just started free motioning with my 1500s and now have a viable option to fix the visual issue. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

I recently got mine used and it came with the original FMQ foot with the plastic and one without. The person I bought it from said Brother makes the one without the plastic now. I still would like an open one. Also mine does FMQ best when I put the feed dogs up just one notch.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:13 AM

Like Peckish I use a Janome Fmq foot on my PQ1500s. The foot I use is the convertible Fmq foot for the Janome 1600 it comes with both a closed and an open toed piece that can be switched out depending on what you want to do. It does not hop, rather, you adjust it so it just skims over the fabric. it has a thumb screw that you adjust to get it to just the right height.

Rob