Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bucket List Question >

Bucket List Question

Bucket List Question

Old 06-29-2018, 02:31 PM

RE kitting up patterns with the fabric and thread - That is exactly what I do. I have achieved STABLE: Stash Above and Beyond Life Expectancy. Some day someone will inherit a bunch of kitted quilts. (I have no daughters.)
Old 06-29-2018, 02:38 PM

Not any more. I have some fabrics that I bought together for projects but am now pulling from them. Just gave away a lot of patterns and some kits I bought years ago. Even gave away 3 new books that I made some small projects out of for classes. Trying to use up panels on pieced backings as I have so many. Mainly buying blenders for projects. At my age of over 69, I don’t want to leave it for my family who are non sewers. A lady I took classes with, died suddenly at age 86 late winter. Her kids have had to go through all her knitting, quilting, wool projects and gave large amounts away this twice even though she gave away a lot of seed beads and ribbons. She started quilting only 6 years ago.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
Make that Labyrinth Walk--it is NOT hard. I made it and made it into a King size qilt
It is not that hard. The main thing to do is pay attention to which end of the strips you are supposed to sew the squares to. When I started the one I made, I discovered an hour in that I was putting the squares on the wrong end of the strips. Fortunately, I always get an extra 1/4 yard of each fabric for any quilt I am making, just in case I make such goofs. The hardest part of the Labyrinth Walk I made for my husband was when he insisted it be on the bed and the cats shed all over it. I don't think he realized how difficult it is to watch your hard work become a used fur collection.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
I have assembled "kits": some purchased and some assembled by me, sorted and labeled in my sewing room. Didn't realize how many until I recently wrote them all down on a notebook. I was shocked & distressed & embarrassed that I let it get so out of hand. Soooooooooo I am "mostly" on a hiatus and started pulling projects from my list, and then crossing them off when done. Some get moved to the "To be quilted" list, ha, ha. Amazingly, I still love all of them and would love them completed!

This says nothing about the stash I have on fabric boards, pre-cuts, and scraps I have cut into 5" sqs. Yikes. I'm with Jan..........I will have to live 100's more years to get it all done.
This sounds like you peaked into my sewing room and computer. Fabric, kits, and lists abound. I am taking the advice of a friend: She suggested writing the name of each kit/project on a piece of paper and putting them in a jar. Then drawing them out one at a time and committing to doing that one or getting rid of it before pulling another slip.

I love the quote I saw at the bottom of QB contributor lettawellman: "If our longevity is determined by all the things we want to do, then I will never die." I think this means that quilters will gain the title of longest living humans!
Old 06-29-2018, 03:17 PM

I have a bucket list , I wright down all quilts I want to do so many . I have a picture of them and fabric I need -
then I just keep adding to it .. so it never ends
Old 06-29-2018, 06:58 PM

I have a Pinterest board and a physical list hanging near my machine to remind me of projects started or intended.

I have a 3-ring binder with patterns pulled from magazines.

I have ideas in my head.

But the reality is, whatever quilt is burning in my heart to make at this moment is the one I do. Before I found out that we are expecting our first grandbabies (twins in December!) I had no bucket list, per se, as nothing HAD to be made before I die. That changed with the joy of these grandlambs coming. We find out their genders on July 21st! Can't wait!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:00 PM

I have must-dos #1 is Dunsters Diamond log cabin star. Even have the pattern. Will find the time one day.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:44 AM

I use a loose leaf notebook. That way it is easy to add to it and very easy to pull the idea out an throw it away when it no longer interest me. I do not kit the fabrics up because I might 'need' one of those pieces for something else, the size might be wrong,, etc. So, when I want to use one of those ideas, I just look in my stash and pull things out.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:19 AM

I have an ongoing list in an Excel spreadsheet from kitted projects (cut and in baggies or container) to bagged pattern/fabric projects to quick & easy project (baskets, runners, etc) to someday projects. On that spreadsheet, I make notes about the patterns, websites so it doesn't get "lost in quilt space". I keep a yellow pad sheet with 5 projects, current or upcoming, taped to the back of my sewing room door. When I finish a project, I cross it out and move onto the next adding a replacement when I am ready.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
PIGS - Projects in Grocery Sacks
Brain Bunnies - Project ideas/plans that multiply like rabbits …

There's no hope that I will ever get it all done, as I keep adding!
“Brain Bunnies” is HYSTERICAL!!! I love it! So that would make a quilt composed of different parts of different patterns hossenpfeffer?