Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Building My Stash Bigger Than Ever... Why? >

Building My Stash Bigger Than Ever... Why?

Building My Stash Bigger Than Ever... Why?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by grugirl
Originally Posted by DeniseP
I hear ya, sister!!!
Originally Posted by harrishs
I love my stash---but have room in my heart to love more------
I suppose much of my fabric desires are based on the fact that I had to sell 1/2 of my stash before I left Alaska 4 years ago. I have been trying to rebuild ever since.
I understand about getting rid of fabric before moving. I left Alaska almost 11 years ago. After having worked in a fabric store or two for about 15 years I had a pretty big stash. Not all was quilting fabric though. I had a couple of garage sales selling mostly all fabric. But I held on to most all my quilting fabrics and sold mostly other stuff that I had for making clothes.
Still have some of that quilting fabric ( hope it isn't going to be rotten when I finally use it). I still get new fabric but only when I need some for a project or one that really turns me on. I shop the internet alot now and get some pretty good prices and fair postage prices at some of the sites.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.
Thanks for the info. Im on my way tomorrow.
I love the Train Station fabric shop. Haven't been there in a while but there is alot of fabric in just a hole in the wall shop. Maybe it has expanded since I was there last. Her longarm rental sounds pretty reasonable. From kitsapquilter in Port Orchard WA.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Double that - and I'm lucky to finish one quilt a year... So do I get to live to be 180??
Old 03-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
I have enough in scrap strips alone to make 20 quilts or 2,000 potholders, LOL. Add to that my stash and I have quilting projects till I am 90. If I don't feel like quilting, I can always count on over 3 huge tubs of yarn I could make blankets out of. I am a happy woman!!!!!!

Now comes the cincher......I don't NEED fabric, so why do I still buy it? A legacy??? I have four daughters, none of which sew.
oops - meant to quote her in my reply...
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Now comes the cincher......I don't NEED fabric, so why do I still buy it? A legacy??? I have four daughters, none of which sew. [/i][/quote]

But someday, you may have a GRANDdaughter who wants to learn! My daughter won't touch sewing, but both of my dgd's are learning. You never know when you'll need that fabric!

Sue

:D
Old 03-16-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
I have enough in scrap strips alone to make 20 quilts or 2,000 potholders, LOL. Add to that my stash and I have quilting projects till I am 90. If I don't feel like quilting, I can always count on over 3 huge tubs of yarn I could make blankets out of. I am a happy woman!!!!!!

Now comes the cincher......I don't NEED fabric, so why do I still buy it? A legacy??? I have four daughters, none of which sew.
OMG.. how disheartening that must be that your four daughters don't sew. SAD. I suppose I am in the same boat.. I have no daughters, so none that sew.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.
I love the Train Station fabric shop. Haven't been there in a while but there is alot of fabric in just a hole in the wall shop. Maybe it has expanded since I was there last. Her longarm rental sounds pretty reasonable. From kitsapquilter in Port Orchard WA.
Yes, the gal is not the friendliest person but I make it a point to make her smile when I am in there. I do because I buy lots of fabric. She still adds her totals with a calculator. Bizzarro I know. But.. she has a great stash. Try the back wall for excellent deals. She does a massive sale every July .. .I think it is 50% off for one weekend only and doesn't mess with sales the rest of the year. I suppose YOU KNOW WHERE I WILL BE in JULY?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Yes, the gal is not the friendliest person but I make it a point to make her smile when I am in there. I do because I buy lots of fabric. She still adds her totals with a calculator. Bizzarro I know. But.. she has a great stash. Try the back wall for excellent deals. She does a massive sale every July .. .I think it is 50% off for one weekend only and doesn't mess with sales the rest of the year. I suppose YOU KNOW WHERE I WILL BE in JULY?
I wasn't able to go today but since you said there is a sale in July, I just may wait until then. Or just go and check it out tomorrow. Any other quilt stores you two know about? There is an Evergreen Quilt stor on 56th and M street. It is a pretty nice little shop but I think their fabric is a little high.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 PM

I wasn't able to go today but since you said there is a sale in July, I just may wait until then. Or just go and check it out tomorrow. Any other quilt stores you two know about? There is an Evergreen Quilt stor on 56th and M street. It is a pretty nice little shop but I think their fabric is a little high.
Yes, I have been to Everygreen. A little high, but better than many I have seen. Do you know about Gee Gees in Yelm or about Wildrose quilt shop in Orting? Both are good shops for different reasons. HUGE selection at GEe Gee's... prices are still high at both but they carry very different things too. Wildrose really caters to the traditional quilter most, lots of civil war era reproductions and other repros of all sorts. Not a lot of brights, which are my preference. Another one.. a good drive but worth it though is Sisters Quilt Shop in Chehalis. I am heading there Friday with my buddy from Alaska. 10,000 bolts of fabric. OMG...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Hey Kitsap, You must know about Harbor Quilt then?