Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building a Stash

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I was just wondering maybe some feedback from you would help. I always see fabric that I really like and would like to purchase for future projects, I just dont know what would be a good amount of it to get when doing it this way.. 1/2 yd, yard ,fat 1/4 ???

at min 1 yard. I would suggest going closer to 3 yards. but that is just me. it is really up to you however. unless you are a scrappy quilter, then just get what ever feels right.

Blog Entries
    For me it depends on how much I like/ love it , how much it costs and what I "might" use it for , ie baby- Christmas - Solids but anywhere from a yard on up

bj
    When JoAnn's had FQ's you could buy that weren't in a bundle I bought lots of those just because I liked them. When I see yardage I like, I usually buy 1-3 yards, depending on whether I think it might go well with stuff I've already got. I have a fairly nice stash now, so I don't buy a lot of random yardage any more. I don't really have a lot of room to "stash" it and I don't like it piled around.

If I love it 3 yards. If I like it 1 yard.

I'm still stash building too after a year and when i can afford to buy I like to get 3 yards. Connectingthreads.com is my fav place to shop.

It really is your choice. We like 2 yards usually but if I really like it I go for 3. 6 yards will do a nice backing too.

I always buy at least a yard. If I really like it I buy 3 yards.
    Also if my chosen fabric is near the end of bolt--say a yard or less I empty the bolt.
    So I guess I could say anywhere from 1-3 yards minimum.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin chris
    I always buy at least a yard. If I really like it I buy 3 yards.
    Also if my chosen fabric is near the end of bolt--say a yard or less I empty the bolt.
    So I guess I could say anywhere from 1-3 yards minimum.

Chris
    Me too.

If I love it three yards is my number. I have been known to buy more than that if it really calls to me.

I used to buy one yard pieces, now I am down to fat quarters!!! If I think I am going to use something for a background and I really love it, I might get two-three yards. That would be something really pretty that goes with lots of other fabrics...

I was once told that you should buy fabric in odd numbers, 1,3,5 yards but really don't know why. It all depends on the fabric and size of print. Is it probably going to be a focus fabric or blending fabric.

I guess it is all up to you.

For me to buy more than 1 yd, I have to have a pattern IN MIND. However, I do buy 108" wide fabric in blender colors - black, white, off white, muslin, etc. It is amazing how long those cuts seem to last...and I always have the basic colors on hand. There's a great seller on eBay that I use almost exclusively for these wide backings.

Blog Entries
    I have a nice size stash, and I'm always adding to it. If I like a fabric, I'll probably get a yard if I have no specific project in mind. I like to make miniature quilts and donate them to the AAQUI so nothing's really wasted. Usually though I purchase between 1-3 yards. I've only bought a bolt of two fabrics that I absolutely fell in love with.

i'm in the 3 yard camp for something I really love, maybe more if it is a background or a neutral - can never have enough of those. i have a 'gazillion' FQ's, so I try and stay away from those now.

I just went to joanns today and their sale was $3 clearance I bought a yard of many different ones they may not go together but it builds it up fast!! Very nice fabric !

I usually get at least 3 yards. That is enough for the back of a comfort quilt should I decide to use it for that.

For me I never seem to buy less then 2 yards. Always afraid I might need more if I only buy a yard.

I ALWAYS BUY 3 YDS AND IF I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE IT AND CAN SEE MYSELF MAKING AT LEAST 2 QUILTS USING IT, I BUY 5-6 YDS.

Never buy less than one yard. On down the road, you'll realize the "shoulda, coulda, woulda" syndrome. I usually buy one yard, and if it calls my name .... I get 3. If it offers chocolate too, I go for more. : D

It all depends on what size quilts you like to make and what style you have.

I like big lap 50x60, extra big twin 60+ x 100+, and Cal King 120X120.

I also like a scrappy look so consequently I own a lot of FQ and then buy yardage for borders 1 1/4 to 3 yards and yardage for backing 4, 6 or 12 yards.

Blog Entries
    I try to buy 3 yards of any fabric that I feel would be used as a border. That way I would have enough to make any size quilt without having to peace it in any way.
    In starting any quilt, I began by choosing a print that I fall in love with and the colors in that print become what I work with thoughout the rest of the Quilt.

I'm a scrappy quilter. If I love it, 1-2 yards, if I like it, 1/4-1/2 yard. :)

Blog Entries
    if you love it and think it is a fabric you would use in lots of different projects purchase as much of it as you can afford. if you 'like' it and think i may use that for something buy a yard or two (if you think it would work for good borders or backing buy lots)
    if you love it but really don't know what you might do with it just a fq will probably be good. :thumbup:

Ask yourself-What kind of quilts will/do I make?
    Childrens crib/lap quilts-buy childrens prints- usually several
    1 yard pieces. Bright solids-1 yard of an assortment of colors.
    Adult lap quilts? Scrappy? The more the merrier, that is selection, buy 1/2-1 yard pieces, you will need a wide variety of fabrics, no reason to buy large amounts of the same fabric.
    Bed quilts? these quilts will require more fabrics. Scrappy?
    buy 1 yard pieces of whatever you like. Don't forget to buy tone-on-tone fabrics for the background fabrics.
    Bed quilts-not scrappy? You will need to figure what the pattern and size depends on. Usually a separate purchase not a stash builder quilt.
    Backing fabrics- buy these fabrics when shopping at sales,
    depending on what size quilts you generally make you will need to know before going to the sale the yardage amounts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast