Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For the business  longarm quilters on the board >

For the business longarm quilters on the board

For the business longarm quilters on the board

Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by vicki75
I have a long arm but haven't yet started to quilt for others. When did you feel like you were ready to quilt for others? I'm just so nervous that they won't be happy with my work...not sure if I will ever feel "good enough."
When I started about 11 years ago, I did not know anyone in this area to compare quilting or prices. I purchased my machine new and when I was trying it out the store owner said I was a "natural". Even asked me if I would be interested in being a dealer. Well, dumb me, I let my ego win, and jumped right in quilting only 3 practice quilts before taking paying customers. (Thank goodness I did not take him up on becoming a dealer.) Looking back now I can see a great improvement in my quilting and regret not practicing a lot more before taking in customers. Then a couple of months later I attended a quilt guild where I met another longarm quilter. She was GOOD.
I only turn down a quilt because of time limitations. Even though I still get butterflies when some tops come in, thinking I'm not good enough, once I get started quilting them I am o.k.

When you are comfortable with quilting your own tops, you should be ready to take in a customer's. Quilt what you know you can quilt nicely. Talk in length with your customer to find what they expect as to designs and threads. If they request something you don't think you can do well, tell them; most are willing to have you decide what you can do. However; if they really want something you are not comfortable quilting be up front with them and let them know. I feel it is always better to do simple quilting very well than to do difficult or intense quilting poorly.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by almostfree
What is the going rate for LAQ? I have sent out a few quilts, and I thought they were very reasonable, but, as someone here said, I don't really have anything to compare it to. I would just be curious how prices are figured.
How to price is always difficult and it is a sore spot with me as I have been criticized for my pricing. Pricing veries greatly in different areas of the country. In my area there are at least 30 quilters, maybe more. All seem very helpful exchanging ideas, hints and suggestions until it gets to pricing. Then nobody seems to want to say what they charge. I believe pricing for a panto can range from .009 cents per square inch to 2 cents per square. Custom, I think, starts around 1.5 cents per square inch and goes upwards. Heirloom can begin at 4 cents or more.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM

I will say I paid $266.00 for the three tops about 4 years ago. I provided all materials-except thread, which she tacked onto the cost. Like I said, it was pretty basic all-over meandering leaves. I thought it was a bit pricey considering it was basic quilting.