Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are bussinesses trying to go out of business?

Blog Entries
    Amazing. I bought a ream of vellum paper for paper piecing from here:

http://www.paperplus.com/productdeta...p?bvn=10016356

Great price for 500 sheets.

I got the box yesterday. This is how my paper arrived in the box. The box was way too big and very used. The ream of paper was tumbling around in the big box causing tearing and damage to the paper. No packing around it at all. Well, I called the company and sent an email. I did get a call back this morning. The store dist. manager said the package was shipped he best they could do....??? And would I be satisfied if I was sent another package of paper free of charge. I said sure but why not put it in a bubble mailer and save on shipping? Too much common sense to him I guess, he said the best packaging they could do at the time is what they had. Good Grief.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Attached Images Attached Images

JJs
    Banned
    See, the dummying down of America has been a WONDERFUL success - people are so stupid that they don't even realize when they are being totally stupid.

I have a handicapped (mentally handicapped) daughter whose entire school years were spent in special education and even SHE knows when somebody is being stupid!

you're right. that is a GREAT price. probably the best price i've seen.

the reason i don't use vellum is the price. even with 8.5 x 11, you can't get 2 6" blocks on one page. there's so much waste that when i practice, i use the cheapest stuff i can find. if i ever get good at it, i'll still use inexpensive paper.
    on youtube, i've seen instructors say that they use regular printer paper with very small stitches and that works, but at the shows they seem to all use vellum. unless the sell carol doaks paper.

Makes me wonder just what the PLUS is in their PaperPlus business name!!

I have always said you can't fix stupid and this proves it :roll:

Blog Entries
    I made myself get over the I'll feel guilty if I mess the good stuff up mindset. When I was learning machine quilting I was using left over thread, left over project batting, and poor quality fabric. I thought that was fine to learn on. I went to machine quilting class and was given wool batting, the best thread and beautiful top quality fabric to practice with. It made a big differnce to me in the way I felt and how my work looked. I no longer save the good stuff for when I think I deserve to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I made myself get over the I'll feel guilty if I mess the good stuff up mindset. When I was learning machine quilting I was using left over thread, left over project batting, and poor quality fabric. I thought that was fine to learn on. I went to machine quilting class and was given wool batting, the best thread and beautiful top quality fabric to practice with. It made a big differnce to me in the way I felt and how my work looked. I no longer save the good stuff for when I think I deserve to use it.
    Amen!

Also I use vellum paper because you can see thru it and it's a little more stable when you have to take out and sew again. I hope I'm not alone in this task
    :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    I have always said you can't fix stupid and this proves it :roll:
    I agree.

Yep, stupid is hard to fix :lol: :lol:

I use http://www.paperandmore.com/clear_ve...per_17__3.html. Looks a bit more expensive but their paper always comes perfectly secured and ridiculously quickly.

Blog Entries
    Now, I haven't used this for quilting yet, but I buy sandwich wrap 9" x 12" at my local restuarant supply store. Originally I purchased this for my art work as pallet paper or something to protect my table from glues, etc. that I might be working iwth. It seems similar to vellum, is lightweight but not a tissue, see-through, not waxy, and runs $10.80 for 1000 sheets. They also carry 1000 - 14" x 14" sheets for $16. This works out to less than 2 cents per sheet. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Yep, stupid is hard to fix :lol: :lol:
    I will agree there, my wife and I bought the best washer and drier that Sears sold last year for $3500 for the set. Well the washer had an out of round drum put in it when it was built new and the bearing shelled on it. I called the service folks at Sears (I bought the extended warranty) and the guy promptly comes out to look at it. He orders all of these parts and I have been waiting for them to come off of back order.

Fast forward 2 months, the parts have come in but the Tub is made of a fiberglass/plastic type of material and each time it has been delivered it is broken. I am on number 3 coming in the mail right now. The first one had a fork truck shove a fork completely through the Tub and shattered it, the second one had the nozzle broken off of it where it hooks up to the water pump.

The Tubs are boxed in thin card board and only have a small piece of styrofoam to hold the Tub in place. Both Tubs looked like they were thrown off the UPS truck each time that they made a stop.

I told the lady that called me today about it that these parts were on back order from Whirlpool and that I am not sure how many they have but please box it right before they run out of parts.

Billy

Banned
    i purchase this paper from this site and its in excellent condition every time.

http://www.thepapermillstore.com/pro...roductid=26163

every now and again they also offer free shipping.

its only $3 more than the site you listed - i check they put that $3 towards improved shipping standards.

Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    I use http://www.paperandmore.com/clear_ve...per_17__3.html. Looks a bit more expensive but their paper always comes perfectly secured and ridiculously quickly.
    thank you for the link! I will be ordering some:)

Billy, if you're trying to get stuff made by Whirlpool, you could have a long wait. We have had a factory here ever since I can remember and they're closing it. Moving to Mexico....

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the links! I know I won't be buying from Paper Plus again. If I do get the replacement paper I will be set for a long time with paper. I'll take a lot of it to my guild and let members that have never used vellum try it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Thanks for the links! I know I won't be buying from Paper Plus again. If I do get the replacement paper I will be set for a long time with paper. I'll take a lot of it to my guild and let members that have never used vellum try it.
    thats a great idea - i've found that once people try it they never go back to there old paper.

Blog Entries
    sounds like some of my office deliveries from Staples!!!

Banned
    for people who are looking to buy less than a ream, this site is cheaper than the one posted. its the exact same paper she just gives it a different name.

i used to buy the paper from this lady but now i go thru so much of it i buy 1000 sheets at a time.

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1087

Blog Entries
    I boubht a smooth top range from Sears, a Maytag. It's been nothing but problems from day one. The repairman said he has replaced everything there is to replace on this stove and the last repair, the cooktop cracked. Now I'm waiting for a new smoothtop. I will never by another Maytag anything. I spoke with Maytag people and they say the stove will be repaired by Sears until the warranty is out. I am in the process of demanding my money back so I can get another one or a replacement stove. It's not that easy and I shouldn't have to go through this for their defective product. Maytag is not what is used to be. The customer reps just repeat rote to me and then a supervisor when I can get one, talks like he/she had just woke from a coma.

Blog Entries
    Well I too bought the kenmore elites washer and dryer 18 months ago from sears.....there was nothing wrondg with my last washer and dryer except they did such small loads of laundry.....DH had those when there was only three of them as a family and now there are 8 of us...and we need something that did bigger loads of laundry....this new set that cost over 2500$ is a painn in my neck. They don't make things the way they used to ...and they cost more! We have had the repair guy come to fix said washer already..and my husband is constanty working on it.

Office Depot cracks me up, if I order a pack of pens and a roll of tape it comes in a huge box, big enough for 3-4 reams of paper, but they don't skimp on the padding, just go overboard with the box!
    I have a roll of velum that I haven't tried yet, my plan is to draw a quilting design on it and see if I can follow it. I doubt it, I do real good on pantographs but can't get the hang of sewing on the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Canyon
    Now, I haven't used this for quilting yet, but I buy sandwich wrap 9" x 12" at my local restuarant supply store. Originally I purchased this for my art work as pallet paper or something to protect my table from glues, etc. that I might be working iwth. It seems similar to vellum, is lightweight but not a tissue, see-through, not waxy, and runs $10.80 for 1000 sheets. They also carry 1000 - 14" x 14" sheets for $16. This works out to less than 2 cents per sheet. Hope this is helpful to someone.
    Is this the kind they wrap burgers & hotdogs in. Tissue paper like. I have a whole box of this.

Sister is also having problems with Sears bought products like both of you. It must be all over the counrty. That Whirlpool crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Canyon
    Here is the problem ... it is not a good size for the printer. I love tha price, but what a pill it would be to trim it down. Gee I must be getting stingy about my quilting time ... Do ya think?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast