Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: But I don't WANT to build a stash...is that "going against the grain?"

I never understood the whole stash think. I just hear of all those ladies that die and their stash gets sold off for pennies and they never even enjoyed it. I want to enjoy what I purchase
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Two words....

STASH happens!!!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Keep the shops OPEN! Buy as you need too vs stockpiling and then avoiding the shops...spread the buying out.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I don't understand not having a stash. It takes no effort to care for or feed a stash, it's not like kids or pets. It costs nothing to maintain a stash, no repairs or medical bills involved. So you don't use it before you die, not your problem anymore and it will bring more happiness to someone else than your clothes, kitchenware and books ever will.

Stash is most definitely enjoyed...the hunt, the find, the pairing up with perfect coordinates all without leaving the house. If you get snowed in for a week or so, you can find exactly what you need for that special project. If a special occasion pops up suddenly, you can easily create an awesome gift with what you already have on hand. If you get an overpowering creative urge in the middle of the night, you can immediately tackle whatever challenge you dream up. If money gets tight for a bit, you don't have to stop making well coordinated quilts. All those things have happened to me at one time or another...or more.

Nope, I'll never give up having a stash. It brings me great joy just by being there...ready for whatever I ask of it.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I am much more interested in growing a scrap pile than a stash. Buying for the project works for me.

I buy for the project, never for stash. Now sometimes a fabric just doesn't work out the way I thought it would, or I need a lot less than I thought, but I always buy with a project in mind and I limit myself to only buy 1 project ahead. I live in a tiny space and while I love scrap quilts I don't have room to store any excess yardage. After every couple projects I do something scrappy to keep the stash down.

I think you should do what makes you feel comfortable. There is no "right" or "wrong" in this.

My mom collects china sets (as in sets of china--English and German, mostly). My sister's family collects "antique toys", my husband collects tools, etc.

If that is not something you like to do, by all means DON'T. If you want to, go ahead--it's your life, your house, your totes, your style of sewing/quilting. There are plenty of people who do only one project at a time. Your totes might be better off holding sweaters or cleaning cloths, etc. (or whatever you want--or NOTHING--you can give them away too).

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I don't understand not having a stash. It takes no effort to care for or feed a stash, it's not like kids or pets. It costs nothing to maintain a stash, no repairs or medical bills involved. So you don't use it before you die, not your problem anymore and it will bring more happiness to someone else than your clothes, kitchenware and books ever will.

Stash is most definitely enjoyed...the hunt, the find, the pairing up with perfect coordinates all without leaving the house. If you get snowed in for a week or so, you can find exactly what you need for that special project. If a special occasion pops up suddenly, you can easily create an awesome gift with what you already have on hand. If you get an overpowering creative urge in the middle of the night, you can immediately tackle whatever challenge you dream up. If money gets tight for a bit, you don't have to stop making well coordinated quilts. All those things have happened to me at one time or another...or more.

Nope, I'll never give up having a stash. It brings me great joy just by being there...ready for whatever I ask of it.
    These are all my thoughts exactly, and I agree 100%, but some people just aren't programmed this way. I guess they think of the stash as "so much clutter".

It's a different way of thinking, but it's ok too if that is how they think.

This thread has me in stitches!! I don't cotton to nonsense, but love the plays on words! Best punner is ruler of the world!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
    I've become a material girl over the years, with more time to grab and stash a bargain than time to sew. Just ask my husband--the material witness.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    My fabric stash is like my waistline, it just seems to grow. But seriously, both of us are on a cutback this year (do not say the d___t word. I have sold some of it, donated to the goodwill some of it. It is an admirable goal not to increase your stash, but if fabric stashing be your only vice - I say go for it.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

I couldnt agree more.. Being out in the country I never know when im gonna get snowed in, or caught with an ice storm outside.. I love that I can sew in the middle of the night and not worry about running out of anything.. Im a fabri-holic and love every minute of it !!!

I say hide that wonderful fabric you found, for another lovely surprise when its located again !!!

Ok, well, maybe I might...

Yeah, I can see where THIS is going...

Maybe I was a little "premature" in thinking that I don't want or need a stash...

Maybe...just maybe (Click Me)

Quote Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
    Yeah, I can see where THIS is going...

Maybe I was a little "premature" in thinking that I don't want or need a stash...

Maybe...just maybe (Click Me)
    Wow! What beautiful fabric!

Dina

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
    I am much more interested in growing a scrap pile than a stash. Buying for the project works for me.
    Me too - and I love the challenge of using up the scraps to create some wild and crazy things!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I never understood the whole stash think. I just hear of all those ladies that die and their stash gets sold off for pennies and they never even enjoyed it. I want to enjoy what I purchase
    What makes you think they never even enjoyed it. I certainly enjoy my stash for several hours every day. Actually, this past year I used mostly from my stash and was very thankful I had a stash. I actually spent about a third of what I usually spend for fabric in a year. It wasn't something I planned to do -- it just happened because for most projects I found most, if not all, the fabric in my stash. If I bought fabric, it was to fill in to finish a project.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    This is so true for me also. I love what I already have and I love seeing it becoming a quilt. I do not have much of a stash and I am having fun trying to figure out what nice project can come out of what I have which is every leftover fabric less than a yard each. I am starting to graduate into trying to make a nice (I hope....) scrappy quilt

Quote Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie View Post
    Me too - and I love the challenge of using up the scraps to create some wild and crazy things!

Any time you (and anyone else reading this)become over-whelmed with fabric, yarn, or any other craft objects, contact your local 4-H organization. We'll always take these objects off your hands. Our kids will be appreciative and they will create beautiful projects with them. Just before I retired a few years ago, I was so impressed with 4-Her's quilt projects, I went straight away to a quilt shop, signed up to take lessons, and the rest is history. I am now the proud owner of stash :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    This thread has me in stitches!! I don't cotton to nonsense, but love the plays on words! Best punner is ruler of the world!
    At least you're not biased! That would really make us go to pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Whether you want a stash or not is immaterial.
    Ha Ha Ha!!

I love having a stash-small though it may be.(Most of it fits in a 4 drawer dresser. I generally pick up a variety of fabrics at JoAnns in the remnant bin. Since I like the Planned Scrappy look, it works our great to have a variety. The few times that I've planned a quilt from scratch, I spent many many hours looking for all the necessary coordinating fabrics. I'd rather be able to pull a bunch of the fabrics that I need from my stash, then go to the fabric store to find a couple more that will fill out my needs. In the long run, it saves me lots of time.

Blog Entries
    I 'collected' till I was almost 50 the goal is to use it all up or enjoy gifting it to others for the rest of my life. I gift everything from books to ufo's to kits, tops, quilts, fabric. It is all fun. I get to play with my stash and get to see others enjoy it too. Every now and then I purge by putting items on freecycle or craigs list but for the most part I have been blessed with friends and family that don't mind getting something from time to time that I have touched first.

Enjoy what you have and can do- cw
    http://ozarkcastle.blogspot.com/

I did not want to "waist" money on a stash. Why have fabric around that you have no reason or patterns to use. I now have a huge stach of left over fabrics, FQ, JellyRolls, Charms and a few layercake. What am I to do? The next time I see a pattern that I like I will make it a scrappy to use up my stash
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

I got into quilting because of my mother's stash. Well, and the fact that she needed someone to take her to her quilt retreats (she was 88 when I started going with her. She's 92 now). I swore that I would not buy ANY material just work from her stash. Two rooms lined with shelves FULL. We did 3 scrappy quilts out of that stash and a baby quilt. Now, I have my own stash mingled with some of hers in my house as well as the stash still in her house! It all started because I needed a backing for the baby quilt. There is just something about certain fabrics that call to you. Much of what I have I just liked....I didn't have a single thing in mind to do with it....now that is just silly....but I couldn't help it. Now I have to organize it so I can use it.

I never started out intending to have a large stash-it just kinda happened over the years.I am slowing down in my old age and greatly reducing my stash.I can not use it in my lifetime and could use the space for a fun room for grand kids,etc.I am trying to get it to all be in 1 room and then use the heck out of it so I can buy more and have a space for it,lol.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momma_k View Post
    my bf lives in ny and he tells me to order what i want. So, i order and he pays.
    marry that man!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast