Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Button delema >

Button delema

Button delema

Old 10-23-2017, 05:46 PM

I would sew them on! Reading your post it seems that was the intention...for them to look like ornaments hanging on the branches. It's adorable.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:54 PM
bj

I’d go to a craft/hobby store and look for flat buttons. I bought some really cute ceramic ones a few years ago that I used as ornaments on a painted t-shirt. They laid nice and laundered well. And they weren’t too expensive.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

I would attach them the way they are meant to be attached. I am sure they will look the best like that. Very pretty.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:06 PM

Idea #4. Sew regular shirt buttons where you want the snowman buttons. Cut the shanks off. Glue the snowman buttons to the regular buttons. I'd use a really strong glue such as E-6000.

What would bug me about the long shanks is that the buttons would sit at an angle.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
What would bug me about the long shanks is that the buttons would sit at an angle.
Thank you so much for all your thoughts - great input and discussion - but Peckish's comment is spot on for me and what prompted me to reach out to all of you. I actually sewed one on (and yes the thought passed my mind that I should have done that before I put it together) and it just did not look right to me, I kept trying to get the button to sit straight. When I think of that times 12 (lol - yes I am a bit ocd), I will be crazy!!

I am thinking I like option #4 so far. My concern originally was about gluing directly to the fabric but the odds are high that the two buttons, with a good glue, would bond together better than a button to fabric.

Peckish - what is this E-6000? Have you ever used it?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:22 AM

Hi, I'm jumping in here, I would sew on the buttons and glue the snowmen to them also. As for E-6000 glue I use it for everything, it washes just fine on anything. You can find it at Walmart in various sizes, I even glued the sole on my shoes and wore them thru the rain & they held up really good. Hope this helps you. Judi
Old 10-24-2017, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by judi43 View Post
Hi, I'm jumping in here, I would sew on the buttons and glue the snowmen to them also. As for E-6000 glue I use it for everything, it washes just fine on anything. You can find it at Walmart in various sizes, I even glued the sole on my shoes and wore them thru the rain & they held up really good. Hope this helps you. Judi
Thanks judi43. I was just looking at google about this glue - but a personal recommendation from someone who has used it is even better. I am heading to town today - I think I will look for those clear flat buttons at JoAnns and hit up Wally World (my name for Walmart) for the glue and try this. Oops - I guess I will have to the DH take out his handy little moto tool so I can trim off those shanks as well!! I will let everyone know how it turns out!!

Thank you ladies for all your help.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:39 AM

If those are to be ornaments, I'd experiment using ribbon or gold cord for the hangers and see if the shank on the button is still a problem. Such cute buttons!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 AM

A wallhanging is not washed often especially a seasonal one. I would use an Exacto knife to cut a slot and then Fraycheck it. Put the buttons on with a small safety pin on the back so the can be removed for washing.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:14 AM

If, by chance, you have a small hand drill, you might try cutting off the shank, drilling two holes where appropriate to the face and then sewing them down. Not sure if this would work but just a thought.