Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buy the Best you  can....You will do better. >

Buy the Best you can....You will do better.

Buy the Best you can....You will do better.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 PM

How long ago were those books printed? Threads nowadays don't have weight on them. I just checked a brand new spool of Coats and I guess that 457m would be comparable to 50 weight. These new snap up spools usually have a bit of loose thread, you can feel this to see if this is a good weight to use. If you're machine appliqueing use a color that matches your work. Hand applique, YLI 100# silk is great. YLI can be ordered on line.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM

O.K. I use plain ole Coats and Clark 30 weight thread, it is sold for machine quilting and crafts, it is all cotton and is ELS which means Egyptian Long Staple. It is a mercerized cotton and comes is 1200 yd spools for about $6.00, I buy it at JoAnns when they put the stuff on sale for 50 percent off so 3.00 for a spool, and I use my discount card for another 10 percent. I have never had a problem, no shredding, not a lot of lint, and I use it with a #11 or 12 needle, which I know is smaller than recommended for that needle size. The quilting shows up nicely and it is strong. I am wondering what the 2 represents after the 30. I always use the same weight in the bobbin as on the top. I have been sewing for over 60 years, and sometimes you just have to find what works for you and your machine. Mine is a Brother 1500. I do not use this thread in my embroidery machine, but use a much finer weight silk or rayon. I check the bobbin area for lint each time I change bobbins and it takes a long time to build up any lint. I listen to my machine and when it gets a little noisy, I change the needle, clean the bobbin area and the feed dogs, and oil the machine. At the end of that exercise she purrs like a ktten.:)
Old 08-05-2011, 05:28 PM

I know a lot of people who use silk thread as it's almost invisible when you applique with it.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 PM

I have a Bernina 160 Virtuoso and a Bernina 180 Artista. I can and do use any thread I want with them. If your machine will only play nicely with one type of thread, there is something wrong with your machine. Ever notice when a sales person tells you only one thing will work, it just happens to be what they are selling.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:27 AM

I use 30 wt. Mettler in my satin stitch and love the smooth coverage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]237269[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237263.jpe  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by applique
I use 30 wt. Mettler in my satin stitch and love the smooth coverage.
OMG I thought your avatar was a photograph! Wow Iam so impressed! Beautiful!!! :thumbup:
Old 08-06-2011, 10:50 AM

I just use my everyday thread and it comes out just fine.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:32 PM

To Dianne1 I just googled "30/2 weight cotton thread for applique" and they gave a link to "The Cotton Patch" and found exactly what you are looking for. Good Luck