Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buying fabric, I am soooo confused.

When I first started quilting, I picked a pattern and then shopped for enough fabric (by the yard) to make that pattern. You might even start with a kit. After you have made a few quilts like that, you will have a stash to pull from and add to. Enjoy the journey!

Thanks everyone, I think I will find a pattern first then go from there. I think I should start with something small though, not to sure about a larger project yet.

welcome to the quilting world....look at the pattern and see what they suggest...there are some pattern geared toward fat quarter, or jelly rolls, or yardage of fabric...let that be your guide......but if you starting and want to start a stash, buy yardage, then you will have extra for the next time, maybe for that scrappy quilt you will make in the future.....gina

When you buy pre-cuts, you get a lot of variety that blends well; you don't have to cut them yourself; and it's a time-saver. It just depends on how you want to spend your money and your time.

all of the above, it's addicting the old saying goes "whoever dies with the most fabric wins" and I'm in the ruuning

Blog Entries
    Sign up for email from Jo-Ann's, they always have 40 or 50 percent off coupons when they send their sales mail.

When I go into Jo-Ann's I always go to their 50 percent off bin too. I've got some great bargains from that. I also like buying a yard of fabric, but I buy fat quarters too. I've never purchased any of the jelly rolls, cakes, etc. They are just too expensive for my budget. I can cut strips if I need too!

Quote Originally Posted by cattailsquilts
    I worked for a quilt/decorator fabric shop when I started quilting (it's where I got bit by the bug, actually). I bought yardage when I had a specific project, and bought out of our 1/4 yd scrap bins when something caught my eye. Now I have a ton of 1/4 yd pieces that I don't know what to do with!!

I'd either buy for patterns or buy in minimum of 1 yd cuts, if you're looking to build a useable stash.

Use the 1/4 yard pieces for making scrappy quilts. There are a ton of ideas. I let the fabric colors help decide what I use.

Pam M

Blog Entries
    I buy yardage, one yard or more and cut what ever size I need. I feel like I have less waste that way.

I bought a quilt kit for my first...then went from there! I started with a lap quilt and it is still my favorite size! Which ever way you go just remember have fun and it is not life or death just create.

Quote Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
    all of the above, it's addicting the old saying goes "whoever dies with the most fabric wins" and I'm in the ruuning
    And I'm right behind you all the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyGee
    I thought I was winning. :lol:

Most magazines give the amount of fabric to use on the quilts they publish. You can use this as a guide. Or start with a kit which already has the required fabric for the quilt top, the instructions usually include the amount of yardage needed for the backing and binding.

Those 1/4 yd pieces would be great for applique, just a thought.

I tend to buy yardage - just in case something happens I guess. If it is for a specific project and I only need a small amount, I have been known to buy a half yard. I've never been very fond of the fat eighths or fat quarters - not sure why. Just my way of being peculiar maybe. With 4 daughters, I often find myself making duplicates for the holidays and F8s and FQs don't stretch too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
    oh drats....i need to do more shopping.....the race is on!!!!

Ok.....when I look for fabric and LOVE it, I buy 4 yards. If I really like it I buy 3 yards and if I just like it 1 yard will do me. Pick a pattern and always buy more than you need just in case you make a mistake. Relax.....have fun with it :-D

Dee
    I usually buy only yardage. Works out better for me.

My husband bought me a coffee mug with that saying on it! He says I have enough fabric and I say you can never have enough. I always buy fabric by the yard and sometimes if the sale is good, I have been known to buy several bolts at a time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy90650
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
    oh drats....i need to do more shopping.....the race is on!!!!
    You're getting way behind. I bought some fabric today by the pound. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by grayma
    This is just my opinion, but I also purchase a little more than the pattern requires, just in case you make an error in cutting. Better to have too much then to discover your favorite fabric is out of stock in the middle of sewing your project.
    This is GREAT advice to follow. I've been quilting for nine years and there have been way too many times when I made a mistake and couldn't find the fabric in my LQS or online. And even though I really, really like scrappy quilts there are times when I want everything to look matched.

When I first started sewing/quilting I bought only by the yard. I also shopped at Walmart . My logic was that since it wouldn't be my best work, why spend the dollars to get the best fabrics.

Regardless of where you choose to shop, pick your pattern first as the other members are advising. You can get FQs and 2.5" strips out of yardage, but you can't get yardage out of FQs and strips.

One of my favorite strip quilt pattens is called Strip Search by GE Designs. It takes one Balipop, Jellyroll, etc to make a throw size and there are no points or corners to have to match. It is a great quilt for a beginner.

I sometimes feel like I have a hard time picking out matching or coordinating colors so strip sets takes the headache out of picking fabrics. Lots of strip patterns are also quick quilts to assemble.

Welcome to my addiction, lol. Happy Quilting!

I would suggesst buying a kit. It will have the pattern
    and the fabric. Brenda from Wadesville In

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2