Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabric - interesting >

Buying fabric - interesting

Buying fabric - interesting

Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Interesting .. thanks for sharing ...
Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 PM

I like Fabric.com for their selection and prices. I fabric feels damp when I get it. I know their wherehouse is in GA. Maybe it's humid!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 PM

My understanding is that Amazon has worked out some kind of deal with UPS to get the cost of shipping down. I think when you are a major mailer then you get benefits. We regular folks soak up the loss.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 PM

I do almost all shopping through Amazon, I am a Prime member and get 2nd day air free, in the end it is worth every bit, especially during the holidays, since they do a mass amount of shipping they are able to get better prices and cheaper shipping.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
Well, not exactly free because you pay for the membership, but a darn good deal. Pays for itself when you add up all you save in shipping cost and rentals during the year.
Ditto. During Christmas when my kids' wish lists change from day to day, it's so nice to go to amazon and order and know I'll get it in time. I love Prime.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 AM

I agree with you. I don't like to pay shipping. I try to buy enough to get free shipping and/or use my Amazon prime. I often find things cheaper on Amazon from the same place than you could buy it direct. They might have agreements in place before the price goes up.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM

This is just an interesting thread I am so glad that I read it. I love Fabric.com and everytime I "shop around" I always come back to them. I refuse to pay shipping ... and the fabric piling up in my sewing room is the evidence

I love Amazon too I have never had any problems with them. The one time I thought I received bad product the credited me and told me to throw away the item. It makes sense that they joined forces

I have always considered joining Amazon Prime.. and I did it for the 30 day free trial but didn't want to pay so I canceled. I didn't think about using it for Fabric.com purchases. Then I could just get the 1 or 2 yards that I want and get the free shipping from the Amazon Prime.. that would pay for itself and then my fabric pile up might actually stop building up (I say MIGHT - not guaranteed ha ha ha)

I have never compared Fabric.com shipping to Amazons.... I just might have to do that now. Amazon is how I found Fabric.com anyway..
Old 08-19-2013, 01:10 PM

I, too, am very glad I read this thread.

Several months ago while browsing around Pinterest, I happened upon a chenille baby quilt featuring Oink-A-Doodle-Moo fabric. We are expecting a new baby in the family in December and I thought this quilt would be perfect.

I was very disappointed, however, when I read the directions for the quilt more closely, as it called for TWO charm packs and when I searched quiltshops.com the only shop that still had the charm packs listed them at almost $35 each. This would be $70 just for the fabric for the top, plus an additional 4 yards of flannel to make the chenille, bringing the total to around $100! Sorry, I don't think so.

So when I read this post I went to amazon.com and did a search for Oink fabric and can you believe it, they had the charm packs for $9.50 each! What a difference!!!

The charm packs and the fabric for the binding are now ordered. I am going to be one proud, happy grandma come December!