Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying fabric - interesting

Buying fabric - interesting

I saw some fabric in a local quilt shop that I loved @$11.00/yd.

I found it on fabric.com for 6.29/yd but with 4.00 shipping.

I bought it from Amazon.com (it ships from fabric.com) for 6.29/yd and $1.00 shipping.

Score! I'm curious though why it cost less to ship thru Amazon than thru fabric.com, when they both come from the same place. Odd!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Happens a lot!

I don't pay shipping for individual shipments at either place. I always meet the minimum for free shipping at Fabric.com ($35), and we have a prime account at Amazon that really pays for itself over the year, (when you break it down).

I've never bought fabric from Amazon though. Maybe Amazon has some sort of middle-man agreement with Fabric.com. Wider demographic.
    Last edited by DebraK; 08-16-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I don't pay shipping for individual shipments at either place. I always meet the minimum for free shipping at Fabric.com ($35), and we have a prime account at Amazon that really pays for itself over the year, (when you break it down).

I've never bought fabric from Amazon though. Maybe Amazon has some sort of middle-man agreement with Fabric.com. Wider demographic.

I found myself adding items to my cart on fabric.com just to get free shipping. I didn't want to do that or pay shipping. lol

I totally understand. They get me with some of their sales ;-)

Blog Entries
    fabric.com offers free shipping at the $35 level- I can always find $35 worth of fabric to buy! I've been shopping with them for many years- they have great sales- and I can always spend enough for free shipping.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I may be wrong but didn't Amazon buy out Fabric.com?
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    They DID buy fabric.com in June 2008....here, from their website:

I just received this newsletter from Fabric.com‘s owner Stephen Friedman:
    Good Morning and Happy Tuesday. I hope this note finds you well.
    Every family experiences milestones. They include the birth of a child, a college graduation, a job promotion, and a host of other important events.
    We have always thought of our customers as members of the Fabric.com family and so it is appropriate that we share with you a major milestone in our company’s history. We are pleased to announce that Fabric.com has been purchased by Amazon.com, a global online retailer. We believe this milestone reflects our history of success in serving you, our customers, and that makes us very proud.
    Allow me to share with you what the acquisition by Amazon means and, equally important, what it does not mean. What it does mean is that we will now have the resources to expand our inventory, and to more completely meet your needs. Over the next 12 months, we expect to increase the number of products we carry, and we will look to you for your thoughts on what that expanded inventory selection should include. It also means that we will have access to the best in customer service and order fulfillment technology, all to better serve you.
    What the acquisition does NOT mean is a change in the people, the philosophy, or the business practices at Fabric.com. Your favorite products will still be available at www.fabric.com and our team and I will be here to serve you. Our overriding commitment to customer service will not change and the warm and friendly, family-oriented environment that we have created together, will not change.
    I personally want to thank you for all of the friendship and support you have shown us over the years. All of us at Fabric.com look forward to serving you and the entire sewing community for many years to come.
    Warmest personal regards, Stephen
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Thank you Jan! I didn't know that. I still wonder why shipping is more if you order from fabric.com

Well, I supose it's like the US Postal Service. Yesterday I went to mail a package in a big brown envelope I purchased at Walmart. The big brown envelope would cost me $9.60 to mail. The lady working the counter at the PO handed me one of their free priority envelopes and nicely told me if I placed the big brown envelope inside the free priority envelope and re-addressed the package I would save over $4.00. Now, how do you explain this works?
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Ah Ha!! thanks Jan!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

USPS box vs envelope

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    Well, I supose it's like the US Postal Service. Yesterday I went to mail a package in a big brown envelope I purchased at Walmart. The big brown envelope would cost me $9.60 to mail. The lady working the counter at the PO handed me one of their free priority envelopes and nicely told me if I placed the big brown envelope inside the free priority envelope and re-addressed the package I would save over $4.00. Now, how do you explain this works?

It has to do with efficiency, as it was explained to me:

The boxes are all standard size, so can be packed tightly to ship, making them more cost efficient for USPS than any other shapes, therefore you can be charged less to ship these than the "per ounce/per pound" rate.

Your envelope may be smaller than the box, however it is an odd size and probably slides when stacked, therefore is harder to ship, so you pay the customary rate to mail.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    Because the Priority Envelope was a Flat Rate envelope. It carries the Post Office brand, helps with advertising and they actually make money on it because most people ship less weight than postage paid. Always double check, depending on where you are shipping to, Flat Rate with the Postal Service can save you money. Not always so check.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
    Thank you Jan! I didn't know that. I still wonder why shipping is more if you order from fabric.com
    It is likely that fabric.com ships with the Postal Service and Amazon, I know, ships UPS as they have a contract with them. Also with the Prime accounts they either absorb the costs or it is built into the cost of the items.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I buy Amazon Prime every year so shipping is free and I receive what I order in two days. Amazon sells everything related to quilting. Of course they sell sewing machines, but they sell everything fabric, thread, books, clips, rotary cutters, mats, just about everything and it's not just from Fabric.com. I shop there frequently. With Amazon Prime you get to watch most of their movies and TV shows for free, also.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Shipping fees charged by the merchants don't necessarily reflect what the shipping carrier charges. Some merchants make a considerable chunk of money from the overage they collect on shipping fees. Also, marchants have to hire someone to pack the goods and get them ready for shipping and the shipping fee reflects that labor cost. froggyintexas

Well, not exactly free because you pay for the membership, but a darn good deal. Pays for itself when you add up all you save in shipping cost and rentals during the year.

Ah, the wonders of the market! If you buy over a certain amount at Amazon.com, postage is free. Ditto for fabric.com. I keep telling myself I'm going to make a list of all the online shops and their minimums for free postage.

Blog Entries
    When purchasing (non fabric) recently in a shop, I had to order in the exact item I needed. The shop explained that if they sent it to me (post) they would have to charge more than if I ordered it through their own mail order facility, because the latter had negotiated a cheaper bulk rate with the post office. This was not in the US but maybe your post office does the same with big clients?
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Glad you were able to get your fabric.

I, too, found some fabric (27 FQs) on eBay and Etsy for $91.80, plus shipping. Looked on Amazon after I read this thread, found it for $79 with FREE shipping!

I LOVE Amazon.

I did not know this, Jan, but do remember the days way back when, when Stephen greeted you every day by e-mail, telling what was new, not only with his merchandise, but with his family. It was kind of like a personal relationship with him and his family in those days. Somewhere along the line, possibly when I moved from CO to WV, I no longer connected with Fabric.com and Stephen. Kind of like life these days, you lose a bit of the human touch more and more as time goes on. Thanks for this info.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Have never paid shipping w/ fabric.com as I always meet the minimum - it's one of the lowest minimums for free shipping around. I've also always been happy with their service.

However, now that I know I can also get it though Amazon - which I have a prime membership for - I can just order one yard, or whatever, any time! Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    It seems sad to me that a few big companies own everyone else now. I don't use Amazon because of a problem I had with them when my account was fraudulently charged $400 and they were not at all helpful (that is all in some other post) but I didn't know that they owned Fabric.com too. There should be a way to look up the fabric websites and find out which are independently owned. Like Dave's Garden has a way to check connections between the mail order gardening companies.

amazon prime shipping rocks! If you buy it you can gift two people with free shipping too.
    I am a recipient of my SIL, I don't get the free movies that come with puchaser rights but I get free shipping year round no matter how small (lately they have instituted some changes on just how small) But still love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast