Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying fabric online >

buying fabric online

buying fabric online

Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
Some really good advice from a lot of people. I'll add mine, from the sellers perspective.

Some online shop owners really strive to make their pictures as accurate as possible when they're put online. In our case, we go to the manufacturers and get high-resolution pictures of the fabrics when we order them, then photoshop them ourselves to make sure they retain the correct color rendition when they are optimized for loading times.

If I can't get high-res pictures from the manufacturer, I do hi-res scans of the fabrics themselves.

Unlike equilter, however, I don't over-saturate the pictures and apply too much contrast correction. Their pictures are jazzy, but not accurate, and I'm looking for accurate.

I use an expensive color-calibrated monitor to make sure I am seeing exactly what is being put on the website, and compare those pictures to the actual fabrics.

Having said all that, here's what you can do to make sure you're getting the benefit of whatever work the store developer is putting into the process.

First, get yourself a decent monitor and get it calibrated for your viewing area. That will go a long way toward giving you the most accurate experience.

Second, I would recommend putting fabrics together that are from the same line, or from the same manufacturer. Many manufacturers have a standard color palette, and their blender lines cover this palette from which they create all their seasonal lines.

Third, when in doubt, call the store! Most store owners, especially online store owners are more than happy to assist you in putting together colors that will work with each other.

Good luck, and happy shopping!
I have bought from you, and was quite pleased with the fabric and your service. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Sign up for sales at www.The Rented Mule.com She has frequent sales of $6 a yard for all her fabrics. Brand names and great fabric. Also sales when you buy 10 yards of the Specials and Bargain Bin of 40% to 50% off those prices. Be sure to use the Code. Customer service is excellent.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Sign up for sales at www.The Rented Mule.com She has frequent sales of $6 a yard for all her fabrics. Brand names and great fabric. Also sales when you buy 10 yards of the Specials and Bargain Bin of 40% to 50% off those prices. Be sure to use the Code. Customer service is excellent. www.rentedmulequilts.com
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM

I do not buy within a line. I am usually looking for fabrics in a color family - light to dark, small to large print, etc. - but I might choose from batiks, orientals, etc. I occassionaly get some that don't 'match' but I just add it to my stash and move on.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I've learned that colors go through cycles - so a certain shade of green (or any other color) may be found in several lines in a given year - but if I didn't buy enough of it that year - that particular shade of green (or any other color) may be almost impossible to find several years later.

Also - that a certain shade may be called one thing one year and something that looks a lot like it will be given a different name later.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM

We're stationed in Germany so all I do is online. I made up a guide of great deals I can send it pm me if interested
Old 07-13-2013, 12:14 PM

I have requested and received very tiny pieces of fabrics from fabricdepot.com just to see the fabric true color. They add the little pieces to paper.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:50 PM

It can be a problem. I have my computer set up with three monitors. There are definitely differences in the colors, brightness I'm seeing. Sometimes I purposely switch a picture from one of the more "dull" monitors to the one where the colors show up brighter.

So, your problem can be a big one. A person must have at least a small sense of adventure and be willing to take some risks in order to buy on line...really anything, but fabric is one that is a definite risk. That being said, I'm usually quite happy with what I've ordered.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM

www.honeyforkfabrics.com will send 10 actual swatches see below. I have gotten a sample of 10 swatches from them. And have ordered a couple of times. They have a real store too. For those who are international they do ship international info on their site. I'm not sure if they will send the free swatches internationally though, but if not perhaps if you send them a sase with enough postage or pay for postage it would cost it would be a way to see actual pieces of fabric. The swatches I got were a nice swatch size maybe 2 inches by 2 1/2 inches. If you email them they will be able to give you the information. They were a good size though.

We will swatch up to 10 fabrics at no cost, just email the item numbers,
your name and mailing address to [email protected]. Allow 7-10 days for receipt of swatches.
All fabrics are first quality, 100% cotton, and 42" - 44" wide unless stated otherwise in the individual item's description.

Last edited by starshine; 07-13-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:16 PM

Hancock's of Paducah also put out a catalogue. When I am choosing their fabric, I create a Microsoft Word document and copy and paste the pictures of the fabric that I think I want. Having all of them on the same page certainly helps to determine whether they go together or not. My order has always worked, much to my delight and the quality is fantastic. I have also let them know that a particular fabric is my focus fabric and if they no longer have it in stock, they will not cut any of the other fabrics until they contact me. Great service!