Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc..... >

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Old 08-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I purchase fabric everywhere I can afford it. I used to purchase almost exclusively at LQS but my finances changed. I now regularly buy Walmart but I usually do keep it sepperate and it is used for quilts like kids quilts, utility quilts etc. No problem as that is what I mostly make. What caught my eye is that you wrote-"getting ready to purchase fabric for a Baltimore Album Hand Applique quilt" You'll be spending some serious time on this quilt. I would get LQS fabric specifically Hoffman batik and Kona solids like snow for the white or black back ground. I agree with a previous posted that I would think the kona solids are unwielding for the applique part but they would be great for the back ground. If it doesn't feel good to you then don't buy the cheaper stuff or even brand name for that matter.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 AM

This thread had such great information for us all. The only thing I can add is this. The feel of fabric has a name. It is called its "hand" and is exactly what it sounds like, what a fabric feels like to the touch of your hand.
I personally pay little attention to price AT FIRST. I have found some fabrics with an amazingly rich hand at WalMart as well as the LQS. And I have been surprised to find that a good "hand" doesn't always equate in price. Having been evaluating "hand" since the flood, my hands have and will continue to lead me to some real bargains in quilting cottons.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 AM

Wow! A Baltimore Album as a new quilter! The advice you received about the weaves, etc. for fabric is so right on and knowledgeable. Thank you to that party. I have found very nice fabric ($9.00/yd +) on the clearance table at Walmart and very decent fabric to make quilts or sew up as well. I don't limit myself to LQS. I go where I can find the nicest fabric with the nicest "hand" for the best dollar. Feel different types of fabric and take note. You will get the gist of what "hand" means. It will simply feel very nice/fine when you touch it. It won't be as tough as sheeting material. For this quilt, you want to make sure you have nice material for all the quality work and time you will be putting into it. Good luck, gal.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 AM

I have opinions about all three. I recently purchased the BOM from JoAnn's. I wasn't paying attention at first but was shocked at how flimsy the fabric was. I have many BOM's from JoAnn's when they first started and I don't think they were that way. I won't be buying them again. On the other hand I buy from them often the price is better. Haven't had a fabric dept. in out W-Mart for many years. I'm not sure if I would buy from them, personal reasons. I go th LQS's some if I am looking for something specific. They're fabric is more top quality. We also have a Hobby Lobby near. I reallly like they're fabric. It all seems more top quality than JoAnn's. I have bought from there. But right now I am trying to use up my scraps. Sorry for the lengthy answer.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 AM

Make sure that your plains are color-fast. Kona really is best,IMHO.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
You will get many opinions on this one....LOL. I personally speaking, will buy fabric wherever I can get the most bang for my buck. You can get great fabrics at Walmart for a very reasonable price...and you can also get stuff that is very thin and won't last at all. That same theory will hold true for anywhere you shop, whether it's your LQS, JoAnns, or any of the hundreds of online shops. So it's up to you to check your fabrics carefully to determine if they will suit the needs of your quilt. I am in the process of collecting one yard pieces for a bargello - 24 different shades. I have about 6 to get and it's getting harder to find just the right one to fit into the color scheme. So everywhere I go, I look at the fabric to see if there is one that will work. Today, it's a trip to the LQS to check on LA rental....while there I will look at the fabrics (always look :lol: ) to see if there is a dark teal that I haven't been able to find anywhere. Desperation may make me spend more than I want.
It took me 6 months to find just the shade of teal I needed. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:39 AM

Amen to CJmomma, I find good quality at Walmart and the fabric is less than half of what the price is at the LQS.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 AM

Dog House Mom, thanks for the wonderful info, so succinct. Interesting topic which I will watch.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 AM

I have bought fabric from Joann's and Walmart. Just make sure, as someone said, that they are not too thin. In fact, I bought some at Walmart and about 3 months later I saw it at my LQS.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM

What an interesting thread. When I read the question I had to read the rest to see what folks thought. DogHouseMom's information was excellent.

My only addition is to visit as many quilt shops you can, feel the fabric (has a fine hand), check the back, see if it comes off the bolts evenly (not pulled crooked as it is printed or put on the bolt which is important if you have prints), and learn the names of the fabric companies, i.e. RJR, Moda, Hoffman, Kaufman, etc. Each are a bit different, but once you get comfortable with the company, you will feel more comfortable ordering from an online shop that has that company's fabric, especially when it's on sale!

Experience will be your teacher -- but the most important thing is enjoying the subject as so many of us do.