Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc..... >

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Old 08-25-2011, 03:31 AM

I purchased Joann fabrics for a scrappy quilt. All the fabric felt just right. I washed this quilt once and it looks like it is ten years old with many washings. I have made 30 plus quilts and this has never happened before with LQS fabric or funny enough, WalMart fabric.
The quilt that I washed once has a faded look to it as if it were in the sun. Some of the reds have a cloudy look to them as well. Hmmm...maybe they had a bad run of fabric at that time.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 AM

If you like the fabric, buy it, if not, don't. Use the fabric you are comfortable using, some may say you must only use such and such, it's their idea of how to do things. Find what works best for YOU as you are the one sewing the fabric you are using.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
I have to apologize. The batting was Quilters Dream with the light blue paper label inside the bag. I used W&N for a pillow I made. My mistake.

I am leary about shopping on line. I don't like to buy things I can't see. I'm way tooo picky and if I don't like what I've purchased there the hassel of sending it back, postage fees, etc etc etc..

I'll have to take a day trip up to the Amish area of Pennsylvania. It's probably about an hour away but can be a nice day trip. I'm learning a whole bunch about fabric just here on the QB.

Thanks for all of your information.
Babs

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I prefer LQS, Amish shops or mennonite shops and shopping on line. On line I have never been disappointed in quality except once with some closeout stuff I got from Connecting Threads. I liked the thickness of the fab but the printing process they used on it was heavy, almost rubbery. But I only paid around $3 a yard. It will get used somewhere. I have been disappointed in that the color wasn't exactly what I thought it was on a few occasions. Again the fabric will eventually be used, just not for the project intended.

I have been burned by Jo Anne fabric so will not buy fabric there. It faded horribly and did not last and this is in i a quilt that doesn't get heavy use. I will buy notions and such from there and batting but not fabric.

When I spend years working on a hand quilted quilt I DO want it to last so I will buy the best I can afford and shy away from the big box stores like Walmart, Hobby Lobby and JoAnnes.

Batting is something else you should consider. If you are handquilting I would stay away from W&N or W&W. Very difficult to needle. If you want 100% cotton you can try Mountain Mist, Hobbs, or Quilters Dream but QD cotton batting is very very low loft. Your BAQ sounds like it should have wool batting! Dreamy to handquilt and heirloom quality.
Favorite Fabrics is a wonderful site - she is also a board member here. Her fabrics are wonderful, with great prices.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 AM

There are good fabrics at stores other than LQS and the price is generally a little easier on the pocketbook. It's like the others have said, feel the fabric. You will get to know the difference.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:51 AM

I would personally buy very good fabric for a Baltimore Album quilt, one with a tight weave so it won't unravel. I buy some fabric from WalMart that feels really good, same at Joann's. I do like Hobby Lobby fabric and the Kona is excellent there. I buy sale fabric at the quilt shop near my home. The fabric is now almost $10 a yard, that's expensive for me, so I have to shop when they have a sale and that is usually $5.99/yd. I have to say that Blank fabric and Moda are my favorites, but I sure wouldn't pass up some of the other name brands either. The feel of the fabric is important to me. My quilt teacher told us that we should buy the best we can afford.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:01 AM

I say buy what YOU like and are comfortable with!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 AM

For a really good quilt, I would use batiks for a Baltimore and I would personally put the bright colors on black. But that is just me. I like bright. I have gotten good quality fabric at WalMart and JoAnns, but--I would get a small piece first and wash it to see if it is just sizing and a poor quality fabric. For a Baltimore it will probably be a once in a lifetime quilt, so for the applique I would get fat quarters of good quality fabic. I like Kona solids for applique. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Some folks on here will tell you to buy only LQS but I won't. I shop Walmart fabric and have been extremely happy with the quilts I make. You just want to make sure that the fabric isn't too thin. Honestly I've seen fabric at the LQS that I wouldnt put in a quilt. Every place has their good and bad fabric. For me it's all about the price tag, I can't afford the expensive stuff especially when I can find the same item cheaper else where.
That's what I'm talkin bout, sister girl!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 AM

buy what you like and can afford, I buy from all three places, not so much from JoAnn for it's 90 miles from my house
Old 08-25-2011, 04:38 AM

When I read your post, I thought wow she is sure brave. I knew you would get a lot of replies. Touching the fabric will tell you more about the quality than the price will. I think you should buy the highest quality that you can afford. I just wanted to tell you that sometimes the prices at Wal-Mart or JoAnn's are close to or more that the quilt shops. The other advantage at the LQS is the clerks are usually knowledgeable and very willing to help you. Keep use posted on your progress, and everyone here is very willing to offer GOOD advise. That being said, Make sure you buy enough of your background fabric at one time same dye lot you know.
Sue