Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying new printer..which one? >

buying new printer..which one?

buying new printer..which one?

Old 01-18-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I'm no help on this and am so glad you asked this question. I went ahead and ordered an HP 4500 Envy. Thanks Edie for your info
Glad to have been of help - I have been watching the Packer game and cleaning and rearranging fabric, thread, you name it. So, after all is said and done -----the Packers were no better than the Vikings. WAIT'LL next year. Now two weeks and it is Super Bowl Sunday and then SPRING!!!!! YAY!!!!! Edie
Old 01-18-2015, 04:47 PM

I don't print thing daily...have two HPs.......and the cartridges are just not lasting as long as I would think they should....has anyone ever taken them out taping over the opening...and then insert only when wanting to print? Wondering if that will make them not dry up, but print out like it is supposed to do......printers are cheap, but the ink is expensive. IMHO
Old 01-18-2015, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
Mine is an HP and it does a good job. I use it to print on fabric for quilt labels as well as regular paper printing - I use the XL refills too - I hope they're more economical but I don't really know if they are.
I have an HP, too, and buy the XL cartridges. I'm always afraid that, the first time I wash it, it will bleed. What do you use to keep this from happening.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:04 PM

I bought a Canon Pixma 830. Five separate ink tanks, (cyan, magenta, yellow, regular black, and permanent black) that gives options for quality, size, quantity, collating, etc. I t is the smaller office model. I love it. The ink tanks are not expensive and I only buy the ones I need. Make sure you do lots of shopping before you chose.
i will admit that their customer service is actually worse than comcast, however I have only wasted time calling them one time.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by WandaVA View Post
I am partial to HP printers--and have a number of them. I have an expensive one with all the bells and whistles, but my favorite is the HP Envy 4500 series printer. It enlarges/reduces; prints double-sided; is wireless; and is a 3-in-1 (print, copy, scan). I have used it for transfer paper for printing on fabric, and does an excellent job. I like it so much that I have two of them (one in the office and one in the quilt studio). It is on sale at Staples for $70.
I too have this printer and love it. Bought mine at Staples also and they are not expensive for updating software.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:01 PM

The Epson pro is great, lots of copies. I buy the 786 xl and get thousands of pages. Love how it works and how inexpensive it was to buy and use
Old 01-21-2015, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I have a HP that I like but, I have never printed on fabric. Whatever you choose, I really like having 4 separate cartridges. Black, blue, yellow and pink. I'm with ManiacQuilter, the standard cartridges seem to run out quickly. But HP does offer XL cartridges that last longer.
I haven't read the rest of the posts yet but my old Epson lasted almost 10 yrs, they (at Staples) tell me that is unheard of. I bought an HP 6520 and it is no where near as user friendly or as good as the Epson was. I wanted to be able to enlarge and then print the enlargement, it does not work. The techie at Staples say they are all that way. I was not looking to use it necessarily for quilting but for making enlargements (so I can read them) of newspaper articles for genealogy. If anyone knows of one that enlarges then prints that way, please respond, I would replace this HP one.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:23 AM

I have a Kodak and haven't had that problem at all. I have printed pictures for scrap books and they are beautiful! Unfortunately Kodak doesn't make them any more although the ink cartridges are still available. Also reconditioned ones are avaiable on eBay. Ink prices are twice as good as any other!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:26 AM

Have had 2 HPs with all bells and whistles. We got along OK but ~ $100 to replace all 4 cartridges plus the fact that they had a life of 3-4 years led me to a Brother. I use my printer at home, not business, likely don't average 1-2 copies/day except at Christmas. Did some research on line to compare and asked my "computer guru" (oldest son) to weigh in. Have only had it since Dec so will see. But for the $$, I can replace it 2x for what the HPs cost me.