Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying new printer..which one? >

buying new printer..which one?

buying new printer..which one?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 AM

Default buying new printer..which one?

I need to buy a new printer mainly used with quilting. Something price wise with ink..Want to enlarge, decrease and also print pictures. Eventually I will get a new computer [waiting for something past the windows 8] Do I get an ink print or lazor(sp) mind is a blank today! Brand and model would be helpful. I would love any hep you can give me. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:49 AM

ink jet if you want to print on fabric.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

If you noticed, ink cartridges prices have dropped but I noticed with H/P you are now getting a 1/10 of the amount of ink for a new printer than my old H/P printer cartridges hold. Check the cost of the ink. But if I was to do any printing for a quilt, I would have a quality printer do the printing since they use better quality of ink than what is available for home printers.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:57 PM

Don't get a Kodak, we bought one once, it was one of the cheap ones and the ink colors were not true at all. The red was a rusty brown, did not like it at all!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I have a Cannon. It's okay but not fantastic. The ink runs out quickly even when on the economical setting. I am going to buy the cheap Brother laser print at Walmart for all my black and white printing. The cartridge lasts for several thousand pages. We have one of them at our guild and rarely have to change the cartridge.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:02 PM

I have a HP that I like but, I have never printed on fabric. Whatever you choose, I really like having 4 separate cartridges. Black, blue, yellow and pink. I'm with ManiacQuilter, the standard cartridges seem to run out quickly. But HP does offer XL cartridges that last longer.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:15 PM

I have a HP. I have had very good luck printing on fabric, enlarging, etc. Good Luck on your search.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:21 PM

Mine is an HP and it does a good job. I use it to print on fabric for quilt labels as well as regular paper printing - I use the XL refills too - I hope they're more economical but I don't really know if they are.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:46 PM

We bought a brother a few months ago and it's great. The place we bought it said they had less complaints and returns with the new brother machines.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Gay

I loved my little Canon it was a workhorse, but now have a Brother. Not overly fond of it, as it self-cleans using up ink, and has had repair as the blue ink was printing red. If not used constantly, the black dries so only half a line is printed till I try 5 or 6 times.

Definately get one with 4 cartridges so you don't have to replace half-full inks.

Lazer printers only come in one colour, don't they? We couldn't afford multicolour ones. I have a cousin with an old one, I liked using it. Only black ink, but she has never printed on fabric, and thought it might jam up more often (major chaos). Don't know about that though, as you need to use 'leaders' to take fabric through anyway.