Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying quality fabric

Blog Entries
    I found a place online called Marshall Dry Goods. They carry name brand quilting fabric at fantastic prices. I haven't ordered from them yet, but I plan to place my next order with them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    There are places online you can get discounted quilt shop quality fabric. Thousands of Bolts has many brand name fabrics in the $4-5 dollar range, usually older collections than the current ones your LQS would have. Desperate Quilters has a lot for under $8, newer collections than Thousands of Bolts does. Seawatch Fabrics has the nicer quality Batiks and Asian fabrics at very good prices - usually $2-3 less than quilt shops. Each of these has great customer service and quick shipping. If you find a manufacture you like the fabric quality of, look them up online. You might be able to get what you want at a price you can afford! I buy from many online places and have never been disappointed in any fabric that I've gotten!
    To quote what Terri said to me when I directed her to a site with Asian prints............"You're evil"

:lol: :-P
    Oh, you don't know how true that is! :) :) Actually, I must admit I'm addicted to the nice stuff and the only way I can really afford it is to buy it at a discount. The fabrics I get at those places are the same first quality as the quilt shops. They just aren't the most recent releases. Guess I'm spoiled! LOL

I've got several of the Asian fabrics that I saw there and saw some that made me drool over. I may just have to finish out some of my collections with the coordinates that I saw there!

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    And it's one of those things that you may change your mind on over time. I used to use Wal-Mart fabric all the time; I couldn't tell much difference. But as I have used more quilt-shop fabrics, I notice the difference more, and I am beginning to be pickier about what I use.
    Ditto here

Quote Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    And it's one of those things that you may change your mind on over time. I used to use Wal-Mart fabric all the time; I couldn't tell much difference. But as I have used more quilt-shop fabrics, I notice the difference more, and I am beginning to be pickier about what I use.
    Ditto here
    and here
    I try to carefully check the quality, I also check the sales at the LQS, and love to pick through their scrap baskets. I may get my borders and backing at the LQS but really try to get it on sale. I hate to pay retail for backings.

One of my favorite on-line quilt stores is Stitch-N-Frame in Mississippi. They discount everything 15%, will cut in 1/4 yards, and have wonderful Thursday specials every week. Another on-line place where prices are a little lower is Fabric Shack in Ohio. And I've found a good number of fabrics from JoAnn's and Hancock's (before they all closed here).

I buy what appeals to me. I look for good quality fabrics but I can find those at Hancocks, Joanns and my LQS. Quilting should be fun. Don't stress over where you buy your fabric, just keep buying and having fun. :-D

I dunno where you're at in NC, but I have found "good quality" at Wal Mart, Joanne's, and haven't gotten to the LQS which is about 35 miles from me in N Raleigh. The thing is with local stores, you do have to scrutinize the fabric a bit more. I haunt Fabric.com and haven't been disappointed with a piece yet!

I never gave it much thought till now, but why is polly/cotton suppose to be bad? I have always been taught 100% cotton only in quilts, and I just pitched a garbage bag FULL of polly/cotton blends away.So heres a question for you (because I dont know) if you use polly/cotton fabric, can you use cotton quilting thread? Keep in mind I am a hand quilter, and use cotton quilting thread.

Yes, you may find the same prints at Walmart but the LQS has probably purchased the print in a better quality fabric. Our Joanns isn't bad. Some Walmart fabric is really nice too. Our local Walmarts don't have fabric but if I find one that does and something appeals to me I buy it. I learned to stay away from their $1 a yd fabric unless it was marked down to that. The stuff they get in that's originally marked $1 is pretty much junk fabric.

ljsunflower what part of Mississippi are you from? I'm from Hattiesburg

buy what you like I buy from a variety of places and I just love it all. I have gone to thrift stores and bought mens shirts for 50 cents and now am doing a quilt. I bought enough shirts to make about 4 but I'll give them to someone that needs it

Joanns prices have gone up to the same as LQS with not near the selection of the quilt shop.
    I shop online most of the time and get great bargains on sale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirl66
    I never gave it much thought till now, but why is polly/cotton suppose to be bad? I have always been taught 100% cotton only in quilts, and I just pitched a garbage bag FULL of polly/cotton blends away.So heres a question for you (because I dont know) if you use polly/cotton fabric, can you use cotton quilting thread? Keep in mind I am a hand quilter, and use cotton quilting thread.
    i don't really understand all the fuss about polyester and blends in quilts. i made a choice a few years ago to stick to all-cotton, but not because i think poly is "wrong". i just found that cotton is easier to work with. since a wide variety of cotton is available online at prices i can afford (if you're willing to haunt the sale pages) i decided to switch.

it's said (by those who insist on all-cotton, of course :lol: ) that polyester fibres will cause cotton thread to break down sooner. sooner than what? in 500 years vs. 1000?

my guess is that polyester thread might not be as easy to use in hand quilting. i think you'd get more knots and gnarles. if you have some poly or blends left, try a small quilt and use your cotton quilting thread. if it performs well for you, then keep going. if you don't enjoy the experience, then stick with what does give you grins.

Some textile mills put out as high as three different thread counts of the same print!

Lower thread counts go to the discount stores.

I remember looking at flannel at Wal-mart on the $1.00/yd.
    table and it looked and felt like printed cheese cloth. :shock:

Bottom line for me is to buy what I can afford but most of all what I like.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom
    Do I get better quality fabric if I buy from a quilt/fabric shop vs Wal-Mart, JoAnn's etc?

Sara in NC
    YES

yes, buy the best you can afford - remember these quilts will out last us

Quilt store quality fabric is a higher thread count, and not more loosely woven. Quite the opposite, it's soft because it doesn't have the "sizing" finish the cheap yard goods have. The dyes are generally more stable (dark reds being an exception) and they will hold up better to repeated washings better than the cheap fabrics. That being said, you can always look for stores who buy "flat folds" (the short lengths not on bolts) from the well known fabric manufacturers. Although it's never this year's llines, you can usually get them for at least 40% cheaper than the quilt store prices.

I recently bought several pieces of fabric for pillows from our LQS at $9.99. Then while buying batting from Hobby Lobby I ran across the identical fabric, labels and all, for $7.99 with a 30% discount.

Check your Hobby Lobby stores occasionally. They have some nice pieces at a more reasonable price.

p
    A million times yes.

Quilt shop fabric is not always the best quality. I took my one and only quilt class sometime ago at a quilt shop. I needed a fabric to go with the top I was working on, so got it at the shop. $8.99 a yard. It had to be the worse peice of fabric I have ever purchased. I took it all apart when I got home and used something from my stash which may have have come from Walmart. I will never bad mouth discount store fabric. I have quilts that my grandmother made in the 30s and 40s that are still beautiful, and she sure didn't use quilt shop quality fabric. Use what you can afford, and don't appoligize for it.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Sara, you'll find, as you go, that there are a few brands that you prefer. Once you know that, then you can go and confidently look for those brands, whether they're new and full-price at a LQS, or whether they're sale or past-season prints that you can find at the discount places. If you're shopping online, then it's really very important to shop from a place that does tell you who the manufacturer of the fabrics is!

One thing I've noticed about the fabrics at JoAnn's: the designs lately are very nice... but you have to unroll the fabric and carefully inspect it, for 3/4 yard or so, to make sure that the printing itself is top-notch. I've found a lot of times there are little unprinted spots that repeat every so often throughout the whole bolt. If you're doing patchwork, you can probably work around that sort of thing, but if it's for backing or even borders, then you'll have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom
    Do I get better quality fabric if I buy from a quilt/fabric shop vs Wal-Mart, JoAnn's etc?

Sara in NC
    YES... I never buy from JoAnn's nor Wal-Mart... you will be much happier buying for a quilt shop. Good luck. Jenelle

For my first quilt I bought the cheap fabric and lovingly made a beautiful tulip pattern with black background and green leaves. 12 years later the colors have faded and it looks CHEAP! I really regret all that work I put into it and not using good fabric, it would still beautiful if I had.

For my first quilt I bought the cheap fabric and lovingly made a beautiful tulip pattern with black background and green leaves. 12 years later the colors have faded and it looks CHEAP! I really regret all that work I put into it and not using good fabric, it would still beautiful if I had.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast