Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a ruler help wanted >

Buying a ruler help wanted

Buying a ruler help wanted

Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 AM

Check ebay. Many sellers will ship overseas.

And keep in mind that JoAnn's in-store coupons are limited...usually 40% off one item only (good if you're buying a set). If you have a bunch of coupons (because you printed them off the internet, for example), you might have to make several separate purchases.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM

Hi,
Before buying, please check out the OLFA frosted rulers. I really do like them better than standard rulers. Also, if you're staying with friends/family, you could order and have the items shipped to their house and when there, you'll be able to get them! I think overstock.com carries lots of quilting supplies at discount prices and shipping is never more than $2.95US total (when shipping within US).

Good luck and enjoy your trip to the US!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by gailmitchell
Before you come to the USA, you need to sign up at Joann.com They will send you coupons.. The coupons are dated, so hopefully timing will be on your side, and there will be some coupons issued just before you come, or while you are here. Will you be bringing your computer? If so, then you can download your coupon onto a memory stick and take it to any pharmacy such as Walgreens, or CVS and print it for 30 cents. Also, the rulers go on sale from time to time and you can check that online.

Also, rulers are available at some other places. I was at AC Moore last week and I saw some rulers there. They have coupons that come out every Sunday by email. Sometimes 50% and sometimes 40% off of one item only. But if you and your hubby go to the store, you can each use a coupon.

You can do lots of research online before you come. And being on this board will help you lots too.

How long will you be in the USA?
great info
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I use all Omni-grid or Omni-grip rulers. what ever brand you get, try to stay with one brand so your measurements will always match. Mixing rulers can cause you to be off a bit if mixing them when cutting fabrics.
good luck.
I so agree with your caution regarding mixing brands!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Oh, for heaven's sake, why didn't I think of that? We are in FL and I've been deleting all my coupons because I don't have my printer here. Thank you for telling our member in UK about the trick to copy coupons onto memory stick then take it to local store to print. Now I can put the idea to use.

I also purchased one of the rulers at JoAnn's that rests against the cutting board as suggested by someone one day. It is every bit as worth the money as stated. Thank you for all the hints dear sewing friends.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM

If you could be here around a holiday, Hancocks almost always has a 50% sale on holiday weekends..that is when I stock up on items like rulers, thread, rotary blades,etc..when they are half price. They sometimes have good sales on line too, (Hancocks.com I think it is)if the shipping isnt too too bad. Could one of us get the rulers and mail them to you, like priority mail box or something to help? I love the little 4 inch square ruler I have, for smaller scraps for scrap quilts. Maybe you need to add that one to your "IwantIt" list
Old 03-04-2010, 11:20 PM

If you need them before your trip, maybe someone here would get them for you and send them in the post. That way you wouldn't have to pay the extra shipping cost.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 PM

Goodness, so much wonderful advice. I'm sorry, my mum's had to go into hospital so I've not been able to get back on here, hence the silence.
Thanks for the link Stummel.
Cathie - just read your pm, and will message you back. Thank you so much.
I will check out other ruler brands as well. It makes complete sense.
I didn't realize you meant I could take a memory stick to the store and get them to print it. That would work, wouldn't it, if that's possible. Having read that someone got a ruler for around $7, I really don't feel inclined to buy it over here. It's only a bit of plastic, isn't it. :D Though an important bit of plastic. :D But I still don't understand the huge UK mark up.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 AM

Don't forget to check the newspaper for Joanns coupons...our local paper always has a coupon in the Sunday paper along with all the other ads. I also LOVE the frosted rulers...I find the lines and numbers much easier to read.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Check out this site - lots of deals to be had, and the odd ruler:

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi.../3151/cat.html