Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying a serger >

buying a serger

buying a serger

Old 05-11-2010, 07:30 AM

I saw a tutorial on this site called "Super fast jellyroll quilt. I did this quilt in about 1 1/2 hours using my serger to do the 1/4" seams. Now I am wondering why I don't use it for other quilting? Dumb!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 AM

I have a white that is a 1995 model. I love it, one thing to be careful of make sure it doesn't crawl on the table while you're using it. Maybe the newer one don't but the older models used to.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM

I had a Huskylock years ago and had lots of trouble with the tension. I was very frustrated with it. Looked at several brands and bought the Babylock Imagine probably 14 yrs ago and feel like I had dies and gone to serger Heaven. I love it! No messing with tensions and it is used alot. I do hemming for people and it is great to finish the edges of the pants before I turn them up; use it with sewing anything with a straight seam; go around the edges of quilts before binding. Try them out and see what you like. Sometimes a sale is not the right answer. Good luck with whatever you decide and take lessons if you can-that always helps.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 AM

I have a Huskey 936, I love it!! I use it constantly! It saves me so much time. I serge my fabric before I wash it. Doesn't matter what color thread, but really prevents fraying. I use it for all of the seams in the clothing that I make. Make sure that you get one with a built in cover stitch. You use that for hems. A rolled edge for finishing almost everything else, including quilts before you bind. Cuts and finishes it before you add the binding. HEAVEN!!
I was intimidated with it for awhile, but now. . . . . I can't live without it!! If you can afford it, it is a great addition to your sewing room! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Have fun with buying a serger

One of my friends uses her serger to finish the edge of the quilt before binding it and says she loves the look on the edge before she puts on the binding
I also use mine for this purpose - it gets rid of all the fraying bits too if you use the knife cutter, and you can see so much better to line up the binding.

I'm in the market for a new one - mine is very basic and I want one that will do the coverstitch since I'm only 4'11" and need to hem everything.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 PM

This is just a question! I have a 6600 and can do blindhem, overcasting, etc. Except for the material cutting on the machine, can you explain the difference to me. I'm trying to visualize and see if I need one of these. :-D
Old 05-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

My serger is older - so the new ones may be different

The blades cut the excess fabric off before it gets to the needle and threads - so the overcasting goes over the raw edge(s) of the fabric after it has been trimmed.

Clear as mud?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
This is just a question! I have a 6600 and can do blindhem, overcasting, etc. Except for the material cutting on the machine, can you explain the difference to me. I'm trying to visualize and see if I need one of these. :-D
You should stop by a shop and demo a serger. It really depends on how much you sew. I do more clothing than I do quilting, so for me, it's a huge time saver. But, I know people that own one and never use it. My sewing machine is on my left, the serger is on the right. I use both of them all of the time. It really depends on the project. ;-)
I know................clear as mud! I own several size irons too! Different ones for different things, same principal!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM

I just purchased a Juki and I love it. I will use mine alot to serge the outside edges of the quilts after they are machine quilted and before binding them. It makes for a great edge for binding.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM

A lot of people are afraid or stymied by sergers, mainly because some are horrible to thread. I had a beautiful little serger which worked well. But when I lost my thread somewhere, it was a bear to rethread.

I bought a Viking serger six months ago. I was promised it would be easy, but I had a hard time learning to thread it and the store where I bought it was no help. I found another store and now I know how to operate it and I use it all the time.

Make sure there are some lessons with the machine (cost free for a new one) so you learn how to use it. It costs you money having it sitting on the shelf.