Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying a serger >

buying a serger

buying a serger

Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 PM

I have a White and it has been a great machine (1984) if I bought another one I would like the ones I have seen that you can raise the cutting blade.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM

Mine is a Bernette 203 -- got it used from Bernina shop. It had been in high school classroom but had hardly been used. It is hard to thread, so I generally keep neutral thread on it so I can use it for a lot of different fabrics. It still has the original blade and still cuts great. I don't use it for quilting--It is the 3 thread style (very "old fashioned"). I'd like to have a newer one, but am not sure I would use it enough to justify the cost.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM

I never thought of using the serger to 'finish' the edge of a quilt prior to binding! It's a great idea...I'll try it on my next quilt. Would make the binding go on much smoother.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by lylamarie
Hi, I have a pfaff 794 and I have had it for over 22 years. I had to take it in a month ago for serviceing and bought another pfaff coverlock. I couldn't be without my serger for that length of time and now I have 2 so I have lighter thread in one and darker thread in the other. I am in heaven!!!!
Good idea!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:04 AM

My serger is a Singer that I bought several years ago and it never did sew right. A video came with it and I've never had trouble with any kind of sewing machine before this. I adjusted, rethreaded, adjusted, rethreaded, nothing worked right. It's still in my possession but I never try to sew with it anymore. I gave up. I'm thinking about buying a Janome. I'd really like to know what model Janome you all have as Hancock's runs one on sale every now and then and I've been looking at that.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 AM

Santa brought me a White when I was in the 2nd grade and I used it for years on all of my 4-H garment making stuff. Last year my mom and I went half and half on a new Bernina. The White was giving us fits with the lower looper thread breaking.

I love my serger. I use it to make pj pants, curtains, pillowcases. The possibilities are endless. I don't do much apparel sewing anymore but am still happy I have the serger.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:58 AM

I have a Bernette I have had for many years and I have a new Janome. I never really enjoyed sewing until I got them. Also can zip the edge of large fabric pieces before washing and no threads.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM

I use it before I put on the bindings. I makes them all look so much better when it lays correctly. Plus there isn't the extra bulk in the binding. I did make a silk quilt for my SIL so that whole quilt is done with the serger.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM

I was reading this thread late last night and thinking what a wonderful addition a serger would make to my quilt studio. To make a long story short, I thought.....wonder if anyone is selling a serger on Craigs List. There was one listed and I sent an email to inquire and I bought it for $70. The owner assures me that it works perfectly and she has all of the manuals and threads......so thanks for giving me all of these good ideas and the incentive to look for one.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
This is just a question! I have a 6600 and can do blindhem, overcasting, etc. Except for the material cutting on the machine, can you explain the difference to me. I'm trying to visualize and see if I need one of these. :-D
You should stop by a shop and demo a serger. It really depends on how much you sew. I do more clothing than I do quilting, so for me, it's a huge time saver. But, I know people that own one and never use it. My sewing machine is on my left, the serger is on the right. I use both of them all of the time. It really depends on the project. ;-)
I know................clear as mud! I own several size irons too! Different ones for different things, same principal!
Alright, besides the cutting function, how is it different than an overcast stitch on a sewing machine?