Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying a serger >

buying a serger

buying a serger

Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Betty K
EASY THREADING TIP: once it is threaded the first time, when you want to change colors, just cut the thread at the top. Tie the new thread to the old, run until the knot reaches the needles. Cut off the knot, thread the needles and then run a little more until the tail is all the new color. You're done!!
I learned early on how to thread my serger from scratch every time. If I tried the "knot" method either the knot would come undone (because it wasn't strong enough) or it would be too thick to go through the places where it needed to go (because I made a big knot so it wouldn't come undone!). I understand that the newer sergers are easy to thread.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Alright, besides the cutting function, how is it different than an overcast stitch on a sewing machine?[/quote]

The sewing machine only uses two threads, the serger 3, 4 or 5 so it's much sturdier. The sewing machine doesn't trim the edge of the fabric so you get lots of "pokies", especially after washing. The serger encases the edge after trimming off however much you need to trim (just shaving it if you are edging, more if you are sewing two pieces together with a seam).

A seam on a sewing machine takes three steps - sew the seam, neaten one edge, neaten the other edge. A seam on the serger is done all in one. The only difference is that you cannot press open a serged seam, you have to press it to one side. Alternatively, sew the seam on the sewing machine then neaten each edge on the serger - neater and longer-lasting.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM

I have 2 sergers. The first was a singer, bought back in the 80's. It sewed great but was a nightmare to thread. Had to get the book out every time to re-thread it. Then I bought a Babylock, and I love it! It automatically threads the upper and lower loopers by a jet air threading system. I wouldn't have one if it didn't have that. You will love a serger to professionally finish so many things. And I was amazed at how pretty and easy the rolled hem stitch was. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:54 PM

I have a Burnette Funlock and then I upgraded to a Babylock Evolve and love it! If you hate threading a serger, look at the Babylock, no tension and jet air threading make it a dream machine. Don't buy any machine without test driving on all types of fabric and learn how to thread it first!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

I have one that my mom gave me, but the thread keeps breaking. God bless. Penny
Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 PM

I've had my Bernina FunLock since 1992 and it has done miles of petticoats and skirts for the play "Oklahoma" and hundreds of pairs of tights for the play "Camelot". That was just what the school got out of it! I've sewn clothes for me and my six kids and piecing quilts as well. I'm starting to baby it now because I want it to last until I can afford one of the new "no tension" ones!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM

I have always wanted one but that fear factor is there on learning how to use it but I have seen some of the things it can do with quilting. I don't sew anymore. Use to make clothes all the time. I had to go back over with a zig zag stitch on a reg machine. Took double the time. I like the way it finishes the edges when you are sewing quilt pieces together. I think it is a good idea with buying from a dealer for the help, great idea, and thank you all for the helpful suggestions on styles.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Knot Sew
I do other sewing besides quilts. I am thinking a serger will give it that finished look. Anyone else use one and do you like it :D

I have a "dinosaur" serger, but it serves my purpose now. While I was still doing garment sewing I was considering buying one of those newer models that "self-thread." But then I got into quilting -- and bye-bye garment sewing. Old serger works fine (only more work to thread) for what I need. I've used it mostly for the Kaye Wood 6-hour quilts.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
This is just a question! I have a 6600 and can do blindhem, overcasting, etc. Except for the material cutting on the machine, can you explain the difference to me. I'm trying to visualize and see if I need one of these. :-D
You should stop by a shop and demo a serger. It really depends on how much you sew. I do more clothing than I do quilting, so for me, it's a huge time saver. But, I know people that own one and never use it. My sewing machine is on my left, the serger is on the right. I use both of them all of the time. It really depends on the project. ;-)
I know................clear as mud! I own several size irons too! Different ones for different things, same principal!
Alright, besides the cutting function, how is it different than an overcast stitch on a sewing machine?
It's probably the same, but my serger goes much faster than my sewing machine can. Without the cutter, you need to make sure you're feeding the fabric in right so you don't get folded fabric underneath or not enough fabric while you're stitching. http://berninausa.com/product_overview-n5-sUS.html or http://janome.com/index.cfm/Machines/Sergers

I use mine primarily for serging the edge of fabric before washing it. It makes a huge difference if your fabric isn't all wound up in loose threads in the washer or dryer.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by penny doty
I have one that my mom gave me, but the thread keeps breaking. God bless. Penny
Penny, I have noticed that dark threads break all the time in my serger and the repair man told me that's common, so I try to keep lighter colors in my serger.

Originally Posted by tinwoods
I have a Burnette Funlock and then I upgraded to a Babylock Evolve and love it! If you hate threading a serger, look at the Babylock, no tension and jet air threading make it a dream machine. Don't buy any machine without test driving on all types of fabric and learn how to thread it first!
I can honestly say that I HATE threading my serger!!!! :lol: