Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: buying a sewing machine

Gotta go with the Janome Jem. It is light weight but sews like a dream. I bought one to take to my quilt group. My 9000 was way too heavy and way to expensive to tote around. 6 months later I was in a car accident and "killed" my Jem. First thing I did when I could leave the house was buy a Jem Platinum . That was 6 years ago and it is still as good as new. Great thing are the quilting and walking feet.

do not recommend singers anymore either. got a Brother LS-590 at Joann's and they are on sale now for 79, with coupon and I think 10% in house and online. believe hancock's fabrics also has. 25 stitches with ability to combine for more. great little workhorse. my old brother held out for 20 years until movers broke it. not the quietest I have heard but great little machine for lovely price.

The new Singers aren't up to par, in my experience. I sold them for 1 1/2 years. Even the most expensive ones just aren't worth it; too many internal plastic parts, & very noisy.
    The older Singers from 1960-mid 1970s and earlier are wonderful machines. By about 1980 they started to go downhill, the company was bought by someone who was only after a profit; rather than a good quality machine.
    I bought a new Singer in 1986 and had trouble with it from day one, the store wouldn't take it back and refund my money.
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I just bought my granddaughter (she is 5) a Janome Sew Mini for $47.99 (discount and free shipping!!) from Allbrands.com. It does a straight and zig-zag stitch. I have Janome HT2008 and love it.
    Thanks for this info! I just went online and bought one for Chirstmas for my GD (she is 7)

I bought a Brother just before Christmas about 8 yrs ago to make pillow cases, etc. for the grandchildren who were coming into our lives. Well, 6 quilts and several bags and about 100 pillow cases later, I still love my Brother and knock on wood no repairs!!

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I have a little Singer Touch and Sew that I like a lot. I've never sewn on any other brand. But mine has a few built in stitches and sews very well. I bought it because it had the blanket stitch for applique. Now, when I learn to applique, I'll be set!:O)
    love mine ..plain and simple

I bought a low priced Brother at Wal Mart for taking to sewing class and just loved it! It's the Project Runway model. Hope you find the perfect machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I recommend a Janome Jem. Janome is a very easy brand of machines to learn on and the Jem line is light weight. So as a diehard Janome lover, that's my recommendation! :thumbup:

For sure, others are going to recommend other brands and you should consider everyone's comments before making your decision. If you get the chance to test-sew on a machine before buying it, that would be the best.

I don't recommend new Singer's either. The older ones are good, but not the new machines.

Good luck! :)
    I'm a Pfaff girl myself. I teach sewing and quilting and see all brands of machines brought in by students. All of the people that bring in the Janome Jems really like them and they seem to be a good machine. I have students that bring in really cheap machines that don't sew well and they get very frustrated and don't enjoy the experience of sewing when they have machine problems. Like others have said, go somewhere you can sew on the machines before puchasing.

How do you like the Jerome Mini? I have one and I have not used it yet. Let me know how she likes it.

wouldn't rec. a new singer from any place. Now if you can get a hold of and older one that would be ok. What does she want to sew? I"d say for a beginner one with fewer stitches would be the ticket.

I've sewn on many machines and currently own 4 and a lot seem to be made in the same place and just re- badged.
    I would check as to which one had the best button - hole system, easy - to - drop feed dogs, as well as buying a quilting foot, walking foot and quarter inch foot. Then you are set to develop into piecing and quilting as well as straight sewing. As for the Walmart brands, I would tend to opt for the Brother.

Blog Entries
    for what you buy one at Wal Mart or Jo Anns for you can get her a little Bernette from a dealer for about $99. It's worth it to buy from a dealer because if you have problems they are right there. If you buy from the others, you have no tech support behind you. Good luck

I just bought a Brother at WM. It was $135.00. I really like it. It is light and easy to use and I like it better then my Bernina which is 5 years old. I wouldn't buy a Singer either.
    Enjoy

I have had two Singers and they broke all of the time. I talked with the repair person and he said that Singer is not the same Singer of many years ago, they are now made in Japan, I also had a Brother and LOVED it, now I have a JANOME and LOVE IT!!

I have had excellent results with brother's, they are very reliable and not to pricey

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    If you can get to a library go to the reference section and check out the ratings in Consumer Reports magazine. The librarian can help you find the past issue the latest report would be in.

Dee
    I would say for a beginner a lesser machine wouldn't be so intimidating for her.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I have been looking too...all the research I have done and people I have talked to...I would buy a Brothers not a singers.
    My best friend has two brand new Singers and one used Brother. The two Singers are just plain junk and are nothing but trouble so she never uses them. Give me a Brother any day, easy to use and care for.

Blog Entries
    I bought a low end Brother at Walmart in 2001, and it has been under a greyhound bus cross-country (Texas to Oregon), made 11 sun dresses in a month, made I don't remember how many coats, quilts, and various other projects, and never been to the repair shop! I only bought an expensive quilter's machine (also a Brother)so I had all the optional stitches, extension table, bells and whistles. I keep the first one to do quick mending. Would I buy another Brother? Does a bear poo in the woods? Yes, Yes, Yes! :thumbup:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2