Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: California Quilt Shops

Question California Quilt Shops

I'll be taking a trip to CA soon, traveling from San Francisco down to Los Angeles. I have a Quilters Travel Companion but thought maybe some of you California folks could suggest some "can't miss" shops. Look forward to hearing from you.

quilters paridise in fresno and cottage quilts in clovis are both good. there is also a nice 1 in turlock but i cant remember the name of it. diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Cloth & Quilts in Turlock - great shop, along with the two Diannia mentioned!

In SF Britex Fabrics is a must, not a quilt shop but amazing fabric store. Here are some of my favorite shops in the SF "ish" area: Thimble Creek in Concord, Cotton Patch in Lafayette, Quilters Quarters in Stockton, Eddie's Quilting Bee in Sunnyvale, Prairie Queens Quilt Shop in San Jose - there are so many that I haven't visited but will some day! Also, in San Jose there is a museum of Quilts and Textile Arts that I hope to visit some day also!

(Is that a Cavalier in your avitar?)

When taking a road trip, these are on my list:
    The Back Porch in Pacific Grove: my absolute favorite
    Betty's in both San Luis Obispo (SLO) and Santa Maria: next favorites
    Roxanne's in Carpenteria
    Sew Fun in Atascadero
    Stone Mountain and Daughter Fabrics in Berkeley
    New Pieces Quilt Store in Berkeley
    Candy's Quiltworks in Northridge
    Thimble Towne in Visalia

Are you taking the coast route (Hwy 101) or inland (Hwy 99)? It's roughly 8hr + side trips.
    Do you like totally traditional? Sweet/cute? Modern? Contempory? Art? Batik?

Blog Entries
    Yes these are the ones I would check out. Britex will be especially a don't miss and the Quilt and Textile Museum in San Jose is wonderful. There are some across the bay in Berkeley as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanneS View Post
    In SF Britex Fabrics is a must, not a quilt shop but amazing fabric store. Here are some of my favorite shops in the SF "ish" area: Thimble Creek in Concord, Cotton Patch in Lafayette, Quilters Quarters in Stockton, Eddie's Quilting Bee in Sunnyvale, Prairie Queens Quilt Shop in San Jose - there are so many that I haven't visited but will some day! Also, in San Jose there is a museum of Quilts and Textile Arts that I hope to visit some day also!

Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Just want to add my two cents...I went to Britex and was disappointed. Yes, lots of fabric, but not much for quilting and pretty pricy. I left without buying anything...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

If you get near Knott's Berry Farm, there is a fabric shop (all kinds of fabric but 1/2 is cotton) called M&L's at Knott and Ball. Bring extra suitcases!!

yngidy - You are correct about M&L. The first time I was in there I practically went into a fabric coma!

Sounds like you got a lot of good suggestions. Enjoy your trip!

I moved from CA to AL before I was deep into quilting (been sewing since 4yrs old) so I didn't know what I had with M&L fabrics in Buena Park! It is in a building that was a grocery store back in the day...and it is chock full of fabric...be prepared to wear comfy shoes and get a basket right at the door! I haven't been able to get back for a visit in 3yrs, and taking an empty suitcase is priority number one! The have a sister store in a beach town a little south of my home in Orange, and if one doesn't have it the other does. I bought about 20 yards of Star of David print for a Jewish friend's table cloth and napkins, and the staff called ahead and the other location held 6 more yards for me. Didn't matter about dye lots, as there were multiple table cloths, just the cuts I needed to piece, they helped me do the math and I was thrilled with their service. Lots of trims, laces, zippers, but some really older stock in those things. Bridal supplies, etc, lots of fancy fabrics, but over 1/2 is cottons...bolts of new stuff and flat cuts stacked over my 6' tall head! Flannels, polys, I need a road trip!

If you head a little further south than LA (San Diego area) Eleanor Burns has a shop in San Marcos and my favorite shop Quilter's Cottage is in Fallbrook.
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanneS View Post

Yes, that's a Cavalier. He runs our family!

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    Are you taking the coast route (Hwy 101) or inland (Hwy 99)? It's roughly 8hr + side trips.
    Do you like totally traditional? Sweet/cute? Modern? Contempory? Art? Batik?
    We're going the coast route for at least part of the way. We're just going to "wander around" and see what we want to see, like a couple of vagabonds! I don't really have a fabric/quilt preference, depends on my mood. I just like to visit a couple of shops when I travel and pick up a piece of fabric (or more, LOL).

Blog Entries
    M&L for sure and Creation Station at 252 E Hwy 246 Buellton, CA 93427 you can have split pea soup there too if you like it (I don't). Have a great road trip.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
    I moved from CA to AL before I was deep into quilting (been sewing since 4yrs old) so I didn't know what I had with M&L fabrics in Buena Park! It is in a building that was a grocery store back in the day...and it is chock full of fabric...be prepared to wear comfy shoes and get a basket right at the door! I haven't been able to get back for a visit in 3yrs, and taking an empty suitcase is priority number one! The have a sister store in a beach town a little south of my home in Orange, and if one doesn't have it the other does. I bought about 20 yards of Star of David print for a Jewish friend's table cloth and napkins, and the staff called ahead and the other location held 6 more yards for me. Didn't matter about dye lots, as there were multiple table cloths, just the cuts I needed to piece, they helped me do the math and I was thrilled with their service. Lots of trims, laces, zippers, but some really older stock in those things. Bridal supplies, etc, lots of fancy fabrics, but over 1/2 is cottons...bolts of new stuff and flat cuts stacked over my 6' tall head! Flannels, polys, I need a road trip!
    This sounds like a place we have here in MN called Harris Fabrics. They have every kind of fabric imaginable and an unbelievable array of quilting fabrics. When I go there, I get lost in all of it. I've been several times and I don't think I've even ventured into half the place. M & L is definitely on my list, since we'll end our vacation at Disneyland. I see that Buena Park is just north of Anaheim.

Quote Originally Posted by brendadawg View Post
    Yes, that's a Cavalier. He runs our family!
    What a cutie!

We have 2 running the house around here LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
    This sounds like a place we have here in MN called Harris Fabrics. They have every kind of fabric imaginable and an unbelievable array of quilting fabrics. When I go there, I get lost in all of it. I've been several times and I don't think I've even ventured into half the place. M & L is definitely on my list, since we'll end our vacation at Disneyland. I see that Buena Park is just north of Anaheim.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. Now I can map out our route of travel! DH will just have to bring along his Kindle to keep him busy!

Depending on WHEN, there is a Quilter's Run that is coming up in So Cal. You MUST put M&L on the TOP of your list. I have shopped there since time began. It is at it's third location which proves how long I have shopped there. If there is a quilt shop in heaven. M&L was designed using those blueprints. Can't get much better !! ENJOY our state and just have fun. Beautiful views driving south along the coast !!!
    Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 05-15-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

MCH
    These may be of interest. I pulled this from The Granary web site; store is located in Sunnyvale (between San Jose and Palo Alto). There is a "shop hop" scheduled and these are the area shops that are participating. Some of them have already been mentioned, but not all. The list has all the contact information as well as map. Enjoy

http://www.shophopbythebay.com/shops.htm
    MCH aka PansyRose
    "Any day that you get see the morning, you've got work to do and a blessing to be."

Looks like most of the shops I would suggest have already been covered. Hope you have a great trip!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Live on the East Coast, so can't help with shops. Just want to wish you a wonderful trip! Happy fabric shopping, too!

Anita
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by brendadawg View Post
    We're going the coast route for at least part of the way. We're just going to "wander around" and see what we want to see, like a couple of vagabonds! I don't really have a fabric/quilt preference, depends on my mood. I just like to visit a couple of shops when I travel and pick up a piece of fabric (or more, LOL).
    The weather is mild on that portion of the coast (North can be different). And that area of Ca has is higher in density of population. What time of year will you be traveling? The San Juaquin Valley is prettiest during March/April and Oct/Nov.

Besure to call ahead and check if they are still in business or in that location. We are a little further south but many shops have closed or moved in our area.
    Anna Quilts