Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Call Me Crazy Quilt, my ongoing project for 2024 >

Call Me Crazy Quilt, my ongoing project for 2024

Call Me Crazy Quilt, my ongoing project for 2024

Old 12-02-2023, 06:00 AM

Default Call Me Crazy Quilt, my ongoing project for 2024

https://sentimentalstitches.myshopif...-the-week-2024
All foundation paper pieced 6" blocks.
In 2023 I decided I don't do big quilts anymore, I have plenty.
But hey... I do want to use up my fabric. So this is my project, strictly from stash. And I LOVE to have things to look forward to.

So I'm pondering totally lunchbucket brown sack scrappy? 30's? 1800's? color themed?
Has anyone already done this project? Sharyn
Old 12-02-2023, 07:31 AM

Yikes! No I haven’t even seen that project before, look forward to seeing your progress. Lots of seams to nest.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:46 AM

That sure looks like a good way to use up lots of scraps.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:42 AM

How Fun! If you put the sashing between, I think you could brown bag it and the sashing would pull it all together. But it would be awesome any way you do it.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:43 AM

I have a new sewing machine coming, I don't think seams will be a problem
Old 12-02-2023, 10:00 AM

Hmm... in the thread about things I am good at and things I am not, I am not good at samplers or putting together random/orphan blocks. One of my tubs of fabrics are Civil war style/appropriate. I have two projects planned for those (hopefully I put the patterns in with the tubs) but something like this might work nicely and help me use up fabric and work in an unfamiliar style.

I am trying to improve my paper piecing skills and something like this might be good to take to my sewing group -- but I should probably cut my planned quilts into kits first and realistically, that might take me a year or so to get to.

I have done the brown sack/completely random sort of thing only once before. I made an "ugly tie" crazy quilt. Mostly 1970s poly ties with all sorts of designs and textures. Gutted and washed the ties and put them in a big black garbage bag and shook them up. Then without looking I picked out 10 ties and put them into brown paper sacks and rolled the ends shut. Then when I made the crazy quilt blocks I had to use all the ties and only the ties per bag per block.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:06 AM

That is a super neat idea! While not this pattern, I did something similar to use up 10 years worth of orphan blocks and lots of scraps. Ended up with two quilts, one with sashing and one without. With both, I just made stuff up to fill in as needed. Was a good feeling to get those orphans into homes!

Attached Thumbnails 20230815_095930.jpg   20230815_100310.jpg  
Old 12-02-2023, 11:03 AM

wow Kalama...that's crazy! looks like fun. I've never seen it before. thanks for the link

this looks similar to the annual 365 challenge-365 blocks in 365 days that I started way back - the first year- still haven't finished it I'm using all red/white scraps
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=365+days+o...=v314-1&ia=web

you could go so many directions with color/style/theme whatever your scraps suggest.

Macybaby I totally love your quilts!!!
Old 12-02-2023, 11:30 AM

1 charm, I did the 365 quilt I think the 2nd year it was out, it was fun and exciting, but in July I quit, decided no one would ever appreciate the work that was going into it and I started running out of the fabric I was using and didn't want to buy any, I was on the fabric wagon for 16 years. . But it's quilted and I was snuggled under it on the couch last night watching Bones.

Macy, I make a LOT of sample blocks before I cut for a quilt, keeps me from starting something new I'll never finish so twice I've boxed up a large box of orphan blocks and sent them to a friend, she loves to make quilts like yours. by the time I'm ready to make up a box for her I'm sick of lookin' at them

This is what I'm working on this year "Heartfelt" by ScrappyGal. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1510353...f=yr_purchases Not scrappy in that I have 8 or 9 fabrics from a line, but scrappy because I'm using no rhyme or reason making the blocks. I love small blocks. Because of my vision I sew with my nose at the needle anyway, so short seam, or long seam, it's all the same to me!

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 12-02-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
That is a super neat idea! While not this pattern, I did something similar to use up 10 years worth of orphan blocks and lots of scraps. Ended up with two quilts, one with sashing and one without. With both, I just made stuff up to fill in as needed. Was a good feeling to get those orphans into homes!
This is the same way I use up my orphan blocks. It reminds me of putting together a puzzle. My orphan box is full so it's time to find them a home joined in a quilt and be orphans no longer. Your quilts look all comfy, warm and just waiting for their new owners.