Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all experienced quilters! Your advice... >

Calling all experienced quilters! Your advice...

Calling all experienced quilters! Your advice...

Old 10-21-2015, 05:02 AM

Hi and welcome to the board! I still have my original Fiskars rotary cutter, 45mm blades. I learned the hard way, only buy name brand blades from Walmart, Joanns, Hancocks, etc. Notice the center opening in those cheap blades, they don't fit the cutter correctly, and in the case of blades, you get what you pay for, IMHO. And I'm a cheapo, look for bargains like everybody else, try to find the sales and use coupons for best results.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 AM

When you first start a lot of things seem to be confusing... why not watch a few tutorials and see what and how things are used and then go from there... one of the easiest to understand and follow is the Missouri Star Quilt Company with Jenny Doan showing how to make different kinds of quilts...I learned so much from just watching her and have recommended her to many others who feel the same way...Hope you find quilting as enjoyable as the rest of us..happy quilting.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. It depends on the size of your rotary cutter. There is an assortment of blade sizes. 45mm is the most common size. There are blades that can not be use in some rotary cutters since the manufacturer of the cutter wants you to buy their blades. I have Olfa cutters and buy the blades when they are on sale at JAF. Being disable, I now use my 28mm rotary cutter the most.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:55 AM

Welcome! You are entering the wonderful world of quilting where all things are possible, well almost. I use an Olfa almost exclusively and the 45 mm blades are perfect for just about anything you'll be tackling. I have a 60 mm that I have found to be fantastic when I'm doing multiple layers of thicker fabric. Yes, the blades at Harbor Freight are cheap; however, it is the old "you get what you pay for." Here's wishing you many happy years of quilting. You made the right step in joining this board, the quilters here are just plain amazing.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:22 AM

Please don't use the rotary cutter on anything BUT the self healing mat. You will need a straight edge of some sort and a rotary cutter is VERY sharp. It will cut you fingers. Ask all of us how we know.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:52 AM

I would stick to Olfa or Fiskar blades. I just read a review of those Improved cut and people were having issues after the 2nd or 3 use of a blade. If you search Amazon, you can find some good deals on Olfa blades. I bought a 10 pack of Olfa 45 for a good price.

As far as the cutter itself, I prefer the OLFA 45mm Deluxe Handle Rotary Cutter, which has the retractable blade and ergonomic handle.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:55 AM

A good place to buy rotary cutter blades is through AliExpress.com. 10 blades for $11. I have not had any problem with them and they're much cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
If possible, I would strongly recommend taking a very basic beginner's quilting class. There you will be introduced to the essential tools and techniques. Gathering your supplies can be an expensive experience if you don't know what you are doing. The price of the class will be worth it if it keeps you from unnecessary purchases.
I think this is probably the best advice so far on the board. Choose a good local quilt shop (LQS) with a kind knowledgeable teacher. Then start looking at quilts dreaming of the day when you can create that special...
Soon you will have to change your "board name" because you will no longer be a newbie! hehehe! Welcome to our friendly helpful board and to a great life time hobby (oops obsession!)
Old 10-21-2015, 08:17 PM

Welcome to the quilting board. Qilting is such an enjoyable and relaxing hobby. I know you are going to enjoy it.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:20 PM

I predict that in a couple of years, you will be answering these questions for other 'newbees'!

Welcome to one of the biggest quilting quilds in the USA!