Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need experienced LA quilter's advice

Need experienced LA quilter's advice

I am making a large quilt and it will be too big to do on my LA machine, by about 10 inches. I don't have the borders on yet and I wonder if I should quilt what I have and somehow quilt the borders separately then attach them to the quilt body. This is a special quilt for my sister and I want it to be really well done. Thanks for helping.

Before I started quilting on the longarm, I quilted large quilts on my DSM using the techniques in Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections. One of those methods is quilting the center and borders separately, then attaching the borders. I would recommend getting the book and reading the various ways of attaching the borders because there are some things to consider when you're doing it, and more than one way of doing it. But yes, it can certainly be done.

yes, I agree with dunster, and depending on the pattern, you can divide the quilt in two or more sections, borders includes. It's best to plan this out in advance when you are still piecing your top.
    Last edited by DebraK; 08-10-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Here is a couple of you tube videos about Marti's book http://youtu.be/OeelhIA3qAY
    http://youtu.be/OeelhIA3qAY

Blog Entries
    I'm getting that book! Thanks for the suggestion.

Great ideas for using the DSM to quilt your quilt.

I'm curious as to how big a quilt will fit on your LA. A few LQS's do have their LA's set to the maximum and then rent out the time for use. Usually you have to take a class for LA proficiency before using their machines but maybe you can make a deal with them. Just a suggestion.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. My LA will do 105" wide but this one will be about 120." I think I will have to do the borders on my DSM then attach them later. Again, thanks everyone!